S2000 Meets and Events Post and plan your meets and events here. This is the place to find out what is going on in your area.

Track Day @ GingerMan Raceway

Old 04-08-2002, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnE
If your running short on room, I am trailoring my car. So I am bringing two jakes and four stands. And all the tools needed. Including a good tire gauge.

Although, if it does look like rain or snow. I won't be there. I'm coming way to far for bad weather. I will then reschedule for another time. But we always bring the good weather with us, when where at G-man. So it should be excellent. Plus Speed trial does a great job as well.
So I suggest signing up and going. But do bring your extra brake pads. And if at all possible, change your brake fluid and put in speed bleeders before hand. If time doesn't allow, your stock fluid should work, but it will be cooked by the end of the day, but still drivable.

As for fast corners. Fast and fun. It all depends on you and your tires. Your top speed is right at 100 on the straight, if you have good brakes otherwise too the beach you go.

seeya there
aquatic
Old 04-08-2002, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to be driving my car there, so if there is snow, I won't go. Do you know where I can get some speed bleeders? thanks.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by aquatic
[B]JohnE
If your running short on room, I am trailoring my car. So I am bringing two jakes and four stands. And all the tools needed. Including a good tire gauge.

Although, if it does look like rain or snow. I won't be there. I'm coming way to far for bad weather. I will then reschedule for another time. But we always bring the good weather with us, when where at G-man. So it should be excellent. Plus Speed trial does a great job as well.
So
Old 04-08-2002, 09:14 AM
Banned

www.speedbleeder.com
Old 04-08-2002, 11:46 AM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally posted by aquatic
Your top speed is right at 100 on the straight, if you have good brakes otherwise too the beach you go.
100? Slowpoke!
Old 04-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a write-up I did a while back...updated a little.

You will need a helmet and brake pads!

You should ride a lot in the morning with others who know the course so that you can get familiar with it, understand the lines that you should take, etc. You should take note of where the trouble spots are, which are actually few now, but ask people where they have gotten into trouble.

T2 is probably the most difficult due to the late (even a dual) apex. Makes from some interesting results...one tip is to let your outside wheels touch the blending line. You can push through this turn with too much speed, but I have also gotten oversteer through it after the second apex...but I think this is the most complicated turn on the course.

T3 is fun and lots of people toss their cars there, coming in after the first striaght, sometimes people carry too much speed into it and say hello to power oversteer.

T4 isn't much, it's something that you can do 'almost' in a straight line. I have a line in the tarmac that I align side of the car with to make sure I keep consistent lines through that bend...

The 5-6 combination is one of the funnest parts of the track. I am coming down from a quick grab into fourth, stay out wide coming into 5 and stay WAY wide until the curbing that is across from the apex of 6. Turn in sharp to give a straight line (almost) out of 6. Power of out sixth WOT in 2nd. And take a late apex on 6th. I don't even look at the turn before I start turning in on 6th. It probably feels, to a passenger, that I am going to drive straigth off the track if I don't turn in...

T7 is a carousel. Stay out wide almost the whole way into 8. I cut in pretty hard coming into 8 and riding the curbing is a good place to be to give a good line into 9. There is a little bit of roughness in T9 at the apex and it can unsettle you just a tiny bit, so be prepared for that.

T10 I have lost it on a few times trying to bring as much speed as possible into it to hit 100+ on the straight between 10-11, the longest straight on the track. I have seen lots of people lose it here because of too much speed. Keep it smooth through there and you'll be fine to go WOT at the apex and into the fastest straight on the course - 10-11.

T11-1 is another straight, up a hill, you will touch fourth then back right down to get into T1, which is a slight downhill turn to the left. Many a soul have lost it on T1, as well...

There is a dip in the apex at 11 that can be unsettling if you don't use it correctly. You will see what I mean when you run it. The thing is if you hit the apex just right, you are OK, just make sure that if you carrying a lot of speed through 11 that you hit it and don't be off of it because that is where you can get a little unsettled. I have lost it more on 11 than anywhere. Thank God they moved the armco back a couple of years ago. Now there is nothing but nice soft roto-tilled sand to slow you down if you are too hot.

Hmmm, what else...

You will have a TON of seat time. Don't push yourself too hard until you have driven the track enough and always don't be afraid or embarrassed to let someone pass you. And that brings me to another point...leave the ego at home! Let faster cars/drivers pass you...!

When you are indicating someone to pass you, point where you want THEM to go. Some days we have used turn signals, but either way, you are telling THEM where to go, not where YOU are going. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! It works the opposite on the street, so be aware of that.

Pay attention to the flagmen on the various corners and turns. All the flags have specific meaning and not seeing or not paying attention can get you pulled off the course. That will be covered in the driver's meeting...

We will probably start off in 30 minute sessions, then as is the case with just about every day last year, it will be a free for all just after lunch as people come and go...it's an awesome experience...if you have autocrossed, there really is no comparison...you will have a blast!!

Let me know if you have more questions! And be there for the driver's meeting...!!

Old 04-08-2002, 03:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you guys all have roll bars? On the SpeedTrial registration form it says: "Roll cage not required for practice and time trials except convertibles require roll bar (no exceptions)."
Old 04-08-2002, 04:52 PM

Our cars are good to go as is. You just have to remove everything thats not attached. Speed Trial does an equipment check and will have you remove all that is needed. They may even have you remove your floormats. But then maybe not.
Bring a closed face helmet to be safe too. They let me use an openface all the other times, but why take the chance. If anyone needs a closed I have a medium spare. But you all should have one anyways.
I checked the weather and they say rain. But that won't happen.

Aquatic
Old 04-09-2002, 08:52 AM

So far, the weather looks like there won't be snow, but the chance of rain is not ruled out.

Great write up Greg! Speed is completely relative to the area of the track. GingerMan is hard and brakes and tires, but the range of speeds on the straits and turns more than makes up for it.

When we tech inspect the cars, everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has to be out of them including floormats. If it rains, there is a meeting room that everything can be left in so it doesn't get soaked.

The stock s2k roll bar is sufficient at our events at GingerMan, but some of the other tracks require an actual cage.

Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Brian.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as floor mats are concerned, what are the odds that they will make you take them out? My interior is WHITE and I would rather not stain the carpet permanantly with dirt and mud. YUCK!

P.S.--One of my friends with an S2000 who I was trying to get to go decided he didn't want to go because, "...my tires will get all worn down. I don't wanna tear the originals up". I almost slapped him. Tires are only on sports cars TO BE USED!! ARGH! What do you all think of that?
Old 04-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The odds that the floor mats will be taken out are 100%...

Make sure you have clean shoes... I would suggest some Diadora racing shoes, made of kangaroo hyde. I love mine!

Quick Reply: Track Day @ GingerMan Raceway