S2000 Meets and Events Post and plan your meets and events here. This is the place to find out what is going on in your area.

Staunton Pop-up 2022

Old 04-21-2022, 08:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,134 Likes on 767 Posts
Default Staunton Pop-up 2022

We did it last year and everyone had a great time, so we're doing again this year. Staunton, VA: beside once having Western State Mental Hospital, Staunton has some great restaurants, Woodrow Wilson (still dead and no longer president), and amazing roads. I've haphazardly thrown this together once again for your dining and driving pleasure. We'll drive Rt 250, eat lunch somewhere and return to the Hampton Inn to mix and mingle. We'll visit Wright's Dairy Rite to relive those high school days (minus the zits and teen anxiety), and maybe even have a really fine dinner or two somewhere. Who knows, we might even engage in some adulty type things.

You can show up on Thursday if you'd like but the official start to the fun is Friday July 15. See you then. Registration opens soon.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by mscritzer1
Is the drive on SR 250 from Staunton to the west, like Churchville and West Augusta, or to the east through Fishersville up to Afton mountain? West of Staunton have the best roads and least amount of traffic There you can go to Deerfield or Craigsville. Not much out there but rolling hills if that's what you like. I also believe the Buckhorn Inn & Tavern has re-opened west of Churchville. It is a classic stop!
For the 3rd year in a row, it's westward bound because that's where the curves are. We go Rt 250 to Monterey for lunch and then come back some neat back roads that I select at random. Every year the return is different and I'm pretty sure this year won't be any different. You coming along? We'd be glad to have you.
Old 04-21-2022, 11:26 AM
Member (Premium)

Thanks Admin, but there are now TWO threads, and the one that is under the proper tab is misspelled "Staunon". The correct thread is "Staunton Pop-up 2022. I'm not sure how to delete a post since I would have done so in the beginning.
Go to Edit and see if the Delete option is available. I'm not the admin, I'm the organizer but I have been called worse so it's okay. If I misspelled Staunton, I'm not surprised, my keyboard has a mind of it's own. Incidentally, I sent the request to remove the one in the Dragon forum (which I also organize). I'll get Staunton spelling corrected. The on in the Dragon forum is gone.

Last edited by kgf3076; 04-21-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:52 PM
Member (Premium)

[QUOTE=mscritzer1;24926114]
Originally Posted by kgf3076
Go to Edit and see if the Delete option is available.

Thanks for the help with the posts. Looks like I don't have permission to edit my own posts or even my user profile or set an avatar yet. Who should I contact to fix this?

Yes, I'm from Staunton originally, so I would like to go drive my S2K around and see what's changed. I might at least come up for a day or two.
Perfect. I think there's a specific number of days you have to wait before you can do anything "complicated" (might also be a specific number of posts). It's been so long since I had to go through that, I don't really remember).
Come on up, glad to have you meet the group who show up.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:32 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

@mscritzer1 Come on up. I strongly prefer US29 to I81. The "event" hotel is decent and they've taken good care of us in the past. Getting hungry just thinking about the tiny restaurant in Monterey which takes very good care of us as well.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
JoePhotographer (04-27-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 04:49 PM
Member (Premium)

I guess this event is not happening. I haven't seen any further posts about it and it's only a few weeks away.
Oh, it's happening. Over 15 people have registered and you're one of them. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Member (Premium)

Okay I'll try and come up to Staunton. By the way, Angela at the Hampton Inn knows nothing about the special room rate HS2, and her manager won't be back in the office until Monday.
Someone else told me that earlier today. Wait for Andrew tomorrow. They have about 30 rooms available so there should be no problem getting one.
The following users liked this post:
2000@53 (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 10:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just spoke with Andrew today and he gave me the group rate. All you have to do is mention Ken and the S2000 group and you're in!!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:28 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Route reconnaissance usually occurs Friday morning. The hotel is very accommodating and the drive participants typically politely take over the social areas. I can normally only attend the Saturday events so don't recall any Friday evening formal events. There's plenty of company.

-- Chuck
Old 07-07-2022, 11:50 AM
Member (Premium)

Thanks, I got a room at the Hampton. Any schedule of events for Friday? I plan to come up early Friday morning, driving up on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoke to Afton, stopping off at Peaks of Otter Lodge for lunch.
I'm going to drive part of the route on Friday to make sure everything is okay for Saturday. You're more than welcome to come along. Probably won't do the lunch stop (but that could change depending on how hungry I get). Friday night it's Wright's Dairy Rite for dinner. The only really scheduled events are dinner Friday night and Saturday drive, lunch in Monterey and dinner. Dinner this year is at Zynodoa and is 3 courses for $60 a person. Lot's of choices in that 3 courses depending on what is purchased locally on Saturday morning.

Quick Reply: Staunton Pop-up 2022