S2000 Meets and Events Post and plan your meets and events here. This is the place to find out what is going on in your area.

Buttonwillow Track event - Jan 26 & 27th Registration now active!

Old 12-25-2001, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be running stock in SCCA, here I'll be in Mod WITHOUT the tires. The only mods I will be running will be catback exhaust, swaybar & thermostat, plus radmat (if I get around to installing it).

Since I don't expect to be competitive due to my relative inexperience, I haven't been too vocal about the tire issue. I'll be very interested in seeing the times for those s2ks whose only significant change from stock is the tires (if there are in fact any such entrants).

cal
Old 12-25-2001, 02:52 PM
Zot

calc,

My vette buddy and I are interested on caravaning up. I believe cthree is also if I am not mistaken. No problem starting to make arrangements on when and where to meet etc. Also saw a post saying there are plenty of hotels up that way. Do we need to or is it recommended we make reservations?

You said your staying at the Hotel 6 right? Where is everyone else staying?
Old 12-26-2001, 08:15 AM

Really looking forward to this event. Now if I can only get the mods that I want done in time :-)
Old 12-26-2001, 08:38 AM
Zot

PFFT PFFT PFFT,,,I spit on your C5 and fart in your general direction

Oh wait. maybe I better take that back since you gave me this event for Xmas huh?

Well...Ok...I take it back
Old 12-26-2001, 02:33 PM

cthree lives in Escondido. Unless he decides to leave directly from work, that means we should rendezvous in Del Mar, Lomas Santa Fe or Oceanside.

I for one would like to leave late Friday morning to avoid the traffic; don't know if the work schedule of others would preclude that.

As far as acccommodations, I don't like to pull into a strange town after a long drive and have to screw around looking for a hotel with vacancies. Nor am I very fussy about where I stay, hence Motel 6.

cal
Old 12-26-2001, 07:16 PM

Calc,

There is no penalty for race tires, they're in a class all by themselves, like superchargers, etc. The points sytem for MODIFIED and MOD-R are the same, just the tires are different.

Because I'm curious how much of a difference track tires make, and because it would be fun to get my ass kicked twice, I'm going run in two classes: MODIFIED and MOD-R, with street tires and with race tires. (I can do this sort of thing now since I just had a hitch installed!!). I'm predicting a 6 second difference in lap times. Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

Anyway, just to update everyone we have 12 Challenge participants so far (I want twice that many, where are our 25 S2000's from the first event?): 2 are in STOCK, 4 are in MODIFIED, 4 are in MOD-R, and 2 are not classed because I don't have their data. We have 1 S2000 driver who is not participating in the Challenge.

We are 2/3 full now!!

dt
Old 12-26-2001, 09:13 PM
Zot

Well I was one of the 25 other S2's but I did/do not plan on doing the timing thing
Old 12-26-2001, 11:21 PM

zot, I'm sure it's not too late to sign up for the xponder & join the challenge. What's the point in going if you don't?

dt, like I said, I'm new to this, so I guess I don't really understand the point of all these classifications. Do you intend to award prizes or trophies?

I'll be very interested in seeing what kind of results you get running Mod & Mod R, but I certainly couldn't hazard a guess what they might be.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the challenge and hope to learn some things (I have asked for an instructor for both days).

cal
Old 12-27-2001, 08:55 AM

Zot:
I'm very glad you're coming out, even if you're not doing timing. I want S2000's there regardless. It's still fun and educational without timing. Just so you know, if you aren't feeling competitive (yet?) then you can get timing and not participate in the challenge. As I've stated in other posts, I think timing is very helpful for learning how to drive. You can try different things and see what the results are. Additionally, it's fun to see your lap times get better and better as you improve. So, you might want to think about that.

Calc:
We're going to give out some very small little awards, maybe a pencil or pet hamster or something, just for fun. However, at the end of the year, when we add up all the points, event-to-event to see who won the 2002 Championship, we'll have an actual trophy of some kind to give to the winners for the year in each class.

- dt
Old 12-27-2001, 10:11 AM

dt, good point about using timing to measure progress. Zot, I take back my "what's the point" comment. Listen to dt, he knows a lot more than I do about this stuff.
cal

Quick Reply: Buttonwillow Track event - Jan 26 & 27th Registration now active!