S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Sound deadening for road noise

Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound deadening for road noise

after looking at product reviews for years, it seems like there's mixed reviews for all sound deadening products as regards to blocking road noise.

people have said CLD tiles didn't help much, and it's not meant to block noise.

And although MLV is supposed to block noise, this person covered his entire interior had still no luck.
reference:
http://www.insightcentral.net/forums...f-barrier.html

does anyone have any experiences and suggestions to sound deadening?
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM

To experiment, I stuffed the entire area under the soft top tray with old blankets and clothes and it seems to have helped.
Doing so has removed some amount of road noise, at the expense of losing a LOT of exhaust sound. (stock exhaust)
Now, noise from the front of the car dominates the noise coming from the rear.
The engine revs sounds much more distinct now, which I like.

Before, I could only drive up to 70mph comfortably from the noise. Now that limit has been raised up to 80mph.

The loud road noise is very taxing to me. So I will continue to find ways to reduce it.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would look into Dynamat or something of that nature. You can get something similar to Dynamat at Home Depot/Lowes for much cheaper. Dynamat can get expensive really quick. Some people have had good results in reducing road noise by doing the doors.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 PM

from what i notice now, the most noticeable 'road noise' that i pick at high speeds is coming from the exhaust/transmission/engine.

i read somewhere that the ap1 has a louder transmission noise than the ap2. that may be because the ap2 has carbon fiber syncros. i think this because the old and new kitchenaid mixers have different noise levels due to the gear material (metal vs kevlar).

people also said that if you sound deaden, that you should do the transmission tunnel.

all of these hints i've gathered up, i've decided to isolate the sound of the transmission from the outside. and if i sound deaden from the outside, i don't need to use expensive butyl mats. i can layer asphalt mats and seal them off with aluminum tape. the same will be done for the exhaust system as well.

parts of the wheel wells aiming noise to the cabin, the firewall, and thin areas of the underbody will also be treated with CLD and MLV.

i also plan to wrap the top half of the transmission with a sheet of 2lb MLV.

so far, this is my plan.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've always found odd is that people want that luxury quietness in their cars, but I've never seen a major manufacturer slather Dynamat or other comparable materials. It's always something that looks more like Second Skin or just lots of fibrous material. I go back and forth between using the cheap stuff (Home Depot) and dropping major coin on something like Second Skin. I can just never justify it to myself since there seems to be such a hit or miss result.

Looking forward to see if you get any noticeable differences.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:10 PM

I did my Excursion from the doors down with Dynamat. I didn't get a difference in road noise, but a really big difference in audio sound.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM

I dynomat'd The full interior and trunk as well as firewall and under door panels. The car is much more quiet on the road and it seems to quell some of the rattles and echos from bumps. Main reason and bonus of doing it has been even temp. no longer on a long trip does my water or pop boil in cup holder the seats do not get hot on a longer trip and you feet stay at an even temp to rest of the body. Its still an s2000 loud noisy bastard, but it did improve the sound of the speakers and made the temp 100% more even throughout the car.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:27 PM

Honda recommends (reference Honda Service Bulletin 99-030) EPT Sealer 3T, 5T, or 10T (in 3 mm, 5 mm, and 10 mm thickness, respectively). These are adhesive-backed foam sheets that you cut to size and use on interior parts for sound dampening, cushioning, and controlling squeaks and rattles.

Material / P/N
EPT Sealer 3T / 06990-SA5-000
EPT Sealer 5T / 06991-SA5-000 Same as EPT Sealer 3T, except it’s 5 mm thick.
EPT Sealer 10T / 06992-SA5-000 Same as EPT Sealer 3T, except it’s 10 mm thick.

EPT (ethylene propylene terpolymer) sealers are joint/space filling materials suitable for use in various applications including automobiles, electrical appliance, and construction industries. Due to their synthetic rubber construction this product is the world's most durable and weather resistance rubber. It serves as an effective barrier to heat, water, sound, light and vibration. And with its superior resistance to heat and chemicals, it provides unsurpassed long term stability.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Topless in Reno
Honda recommends (reference Honda Service Bulletin 99-030) EPT Sealer 3T, 5T, or 10T (in 3 mm, 5 mm, and 10 mm thickness, respectively). These are adhesive-backed foam sheets that you cut to size and use on interior parts for sound dampening, cushioning, and controlling squeaks and rattles.

Material / P/N
EPT Sealer 3T / 06990-SA5-000
EPT Sealer 5T / 06991-SA5-000 Same as EPT Sealer 3T, except it’s 5 mm thick.
EPT Sealer 10T / 06992-SA5-000 Same as EPT Sealer 3T, except it’s 10 mm thick.

EPT (ethylene propylene terpolymer) sealers are joint/space filling materials suitable for use in various applications including automobiles, electrical appliance, and construction industries. Due to their synthetic rubber construction this product is the world's most durable and weather resistance rubber. It serves as an effective barrier to heat, water, sound, light and vibration. And with its superior resistance to heat and chemicals, it provides unsurpassed long term stability.
Trying to find this in the parts catalog, but I can't tell how much of it you get. Any ideas?

Also, a thread from the dead indicates there was a TSB about rattles and creaks in our cars...but the link is dead, can anyone figure it out?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/241...06990-sa5-000/

https://www.s2ki.com/home/uploadfiles/a03-023.pdf

Thanks
Old 12-25-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get Dynamat extreme, it weighs a ton, but unless you are racing, you wont notice it n a truly detrimental way.

Quick Reply: Sound deadening for road noise