S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Seat Leather Replacement vs Seat Covers?

Old 09-25-2021, 04:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Installed Seats with New LeatherSeats.com covers

I've installed my new LeatherSeast.com 100% leather covers. I still have to do a little steaming (my daughter has my steamer) to work out a few areas, but for a DIY by someone with no previous upholstery experience, I think they look great (photos below).

For anyone thinking of reupholstering their seats:

- Photograph the hog ring locations before you take the old covers off. Most are obvious, but some aren't.
- The hardest part of the install is fastening the J-clip that connects the bottom of the seat back to the front insert. It takes a lot of effort to stretch both sides to fit.
- The passenger seat rails are 1 piece. The driver's side aren't. Make sure you have both rails in the same position before you reinstall the seat or the bolt holes won't line up.
- The driver side & passenger side seat covers are different (and they aren't marked). Look for the larger "cutout" on the side of the seat-back hinge for the recline handle/mechanism.

The following users liked this post:
seawolfxix (09-26-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks nice,, great job, did you have to use a hair dryer to stretch the leather?
Old 09-28-2021, 12:25 PM

No. I had a Shark clothes steamer. I removed the fabric head and used the open handle. After I installed the passenger seat cover, my daughter needed the steamer, so I didn't use steam on the driver's seat. I need to get the steamer back to work on the upper bolsters and seat bases.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
No. I had a Shark clothes steamer. I removed the fabric head and used the open handle. After I installed the passenger seat cover, my daughter needed the steamer, so I didn't use steam on the driver's seat. I need to get the steamer back to work on the upper bolsters and seat bases.
the photo shows these are Suzuka blue- what colour code did you use for your order thru leather seats.com- it looks to be a great match if it is indeed the Suzuka?
looks really good!
thanks!

darcy
Old 09-29-2021, 05:27 AM

Yes, my S is an '06 Suzuka. The interior trim is mostly black, only the seats and carpet (and floor mats) are blue.

I got samples by mail for several colors by calling LeatherSeats.com. I decided on Blue (003) with Mist (076) body inserts. I didn't select perforated leather since my OEM seats started tearing along the perforations while the rest of the leather was in pretty good shape.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:30 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by jts09
Yes, my S is an '06 Suzuka. The interior trim is mostly black, only the seats and carpet (and floor mats) are blue.

I got samples by mail for several colors by calling LeatherSeats.com. I decided on Blue (003) with Mist (076) body inserts. I didn't select perforated leather since my OEM seats started tearing along the perforations while the rest of the leather was in pretty good shape.
excellent- the 003 blue matches nicely.
darcy
Old 02-18-2022, 07:39 AM

I am looking at an S, my second one, the seats are shot. Bolsters scratched heavily and driver side bolster looks like it melted, car appears to be very sound mechanically. How difficult is it for an upholster to just copy the OEM covers? I am planning to install aftermarket seats and then take my time repairing the OEM seats with someone I can be happy with in terms of quality and price.
Old 03-02-2022, 04:50 AM

Any good auto upholstery shop should be able to make new seat covers. I didn't go that route, but I did years ago for my '81 RX-7 and the seats turned out great.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:29 AM

What is the best hard wearing leather, I am not too familiar with all available leather types, I would certainly select a hard wearing leather.
Old 03-07-2022, 05:24 AM

I would think that any upholstery shop that specializes in automotive upholstery will use quality leather and should be able to show you samples. I aviod perforated leather because tears are generated along the holes when the leather ages. The seats in my S were in pretty good shape other than the perforated inserts.

Quick Reply: Seat Leather Replacement vs Seat Covers?