S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Rattle on or near driver side door or a-pillar?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on or near driver side door or a-pillar?

My S2000 has 7k miles and has developed a small rattle. I can't locate the exact location, but it is around the a-pillar or driver side door area somewhere. Just wondered if this was common and if so, is there an easy fix?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Do you have a loose striker? Those are the cleats that your top latches to in front.

Steve

Originally Posted by Lightsped
My S2000 has 7k miles and has developed a small rattle. I can't locate the exact location, but it is around the a-pillar or driver side door area somewhere. Just wondered if this was common and if so, is there an easy fix?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 PM

I am fiarly sure it is coming from a lower point than where the striker is. I am thinking inside the a-pillar itself, or possibly on the top part of the door panel....
Old 06-17-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

pull off the a-pillar plastic and make sure the clips on the rear side of it are good , check everything while you have it apart, it is very easy to take off.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:44 AM

So as to make sure I don't damage the A-pillar plastic, how exactly does the plastic panel come off?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM

Received 3,763 Likes on 2,654 Posts

So as to make sure I don't damage the A-pillar plastic, how exactly does the plastic panel come off?
it just pops off, put your fingers in between the plastic pillar and the windshield glass and just pry gently until it pops, then at the top pry it off gently as there are a couple of small nubs that clip into the plastic header, once loose just slide it upwards a bit as it interlocks with the air flow pipe that is under the a-pillar plastic trim. I think there is two clips on the back side of the pillar trim , make sure they aren't broken , replace them if they are and reinstall in reverse by first sliding it onto the air flow pipe underneath it , then gently tap the clips into place along the entire length. hth,
Old 06-18-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am fiarly sure it is coming from a lower point than where the striker is. I am thinking inside the a-pillar itself, or possibly on the top part of the door panel....
I have the same thing on the passenger side. Hard to locate. Doesn't rattle on the big bumps, just the small ones. Not the spare tire. I will post s solution if I find it.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by toekneer
Originally Posted by Lightsped' timestamp='1339904797' post='21787821
I have the same thing on the passenger side. Hard to locate. Doesn't rattle on the big bumps, just the small ones. Not the spare tire. I will post s solution if I find it.

On the passenger side, first thing to check is whether the seat belt buckle moving against the trim is making the noise.....if it is, you can put a piece of self adhesive Velcro on the trim where it hits just behind the door opening---you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot or probably any fabric store. Use the "soft" side of the Velco rather than the "prickly" side. Just need a few inches--and it's black so it's not noticable at all
Old 06-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetboater
Originally Posted by toekneer' timestamp='1340041176' post='21791130
[quote name='Lightsped' timestamp='1339904797' post='21787821']

On the passenger side, first thing to check is whether the seat belt buckle moving against the trim is making the noise.....if it is, you can put a piece of self adhesive Velcro on the trim where it hits just behind the door opening---you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot or probably any fabric store. Use the "soft" side of the Velco rather than the "prickly" side. Just need a few inches--and it's black so it's not noticable at all
[/quote]

Yes, I have had that in other cars. This occurs when I have a passenger buckeled up too. Checked the striker, pounded the door and bounced the car a little - nothing. It seems to occur on small sharp jolts. Mystery so far.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You could take the passenger door panel off and drive it and see if the noise is louder.
May help narrow down where it's coming from...