S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.
View Poll Results: Would you do it.
YES
35.71%
NO
41.07%
RICE!!!!!!
23.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

HID's in reverse lights.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's in reverse lights.

I have seen a few cars at car shows gas stations etc etc,, that have HID's in there reverse lights. so when they back up at night they are see alot better. I was just wondering if any one on here has done it or seen it.

Im going to be doing it to my s in about a week or so seeing i have a spare set of hids laying around. hopefully itll turn out well. bc im sure im going to have to retro fit the bulb into the tail light housing, and hopefully there is enough clearance, and that the harness hooks up to the power and ground of the tail light harness.

please add your 2 cents. i think its kind of a cool idea.

sorry if its in the wrong section i couldnt find an exterior related topic.other then the sponsor section.

thanks guys. ill post pics up this weekend.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's realistically worth the hassle. A well designed multi-LED bulb should do the job just fine.

HID's take time to warm up once they're initially turned on. The startup sequence (the "strike") is much harder on the burner than steady-state operation, since it draws more power during that time period. If they're constantly turned on and off, the electrode wear will hurt the bulb's lifespan, and cause the color to shift.

It's most likely negligible since you rarely engage reverse, let alone multiple times in a row, but you also have to consider the mounting locations for the ballasts, and the space for the wiring. It's just more work than it's worth, for a light that is usually only turned on for a matter of moments.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay
I don't think it's realistically worth the hassle. A well designed multi-LED bulb should do the job just fine.

HID's take time to warm up once they're initially turned on. The startup sequence (the "strike") is much harder on the burner than steady-state operation, since it draws more power during that time period. If they're constantly turned on and off, the electrode wear will hurt the bulb's lifespan, and cause the color to shift.

It's most likely negligible since you rarely engage reverse, let alone multiple times in a row, but you also have to consider the mounting locations for the ballasts, and the space for the wiring. It's just more work than it's worth, for a light that is usually only turned on for a matter of moments.

yeah thats what i have been reading. from other forums that have people that ask the same thing lol. do u know what the bump number is for the led bulbs.. ive never used them b4
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM

When I came across the thread about the guy who put them in his tail lights, I said "WTF" and LOL'd. Get some nice LED bulbs off of ebay and call it a day.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 PM

i did it. i only did one though.. i didnt do it for the HID part.. but more for the higher light output.. and its pretty, no led will EVER match
Old 09-12-2011, 08:47 AM

had it on my acura as "tailgater lights"
Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Duyx817
i did it. i only did one though.. i didnt do it for the HID part.. but more for the higher light output.. and its pretty, no led will EVER match

did u just use a random plug and play kit. and then splice in the singal and ground wire?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by soon2bspooled
Originally Posted by Duyx817' timestamp='1315812184' post='20963961

did u just use a random plug and play kit. and then splice in the singal and ground wire?

i splice into the wires, ONLY because the hid i bought only use max of 3 amps for warm-ups and like 2.5 amp something when its warm.

i have a couple of pictures here
Old 09-15-2011, 06:02 PM

What company did u get your kit from..
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM

i bought a random ebay hid.. it was like 5 dollars or something around there.. and i have been using this for a long time now

Quick Reply: HID's in reverse lights.