S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

Gutted Out the Nasty Red AP1 Interior-Opinons?

Old 02-10-2012 | 01:41 PM

Default Gutted Out the Nasty Red AP1 Interior-Opinons?

So I bought my White AP1 knowing that the Red (all red) interior had to go. The seats were horribly cracked and the red back then (maroon) was just disgusting looking to me. Here is the breakdown of costs, and some pics to fully convert the red to black/Royal :
  • AP2 Black carpet, center console leather, and actual center console = 400 from bone yard in WA.
  • Custom Blue Alacantara Door Panels, Center Armrest, shift boot = 150 from a member here + my OEM black
  • All the annoying plastic push clips in black = ~80 bucks but I bought a bunch of extra ones
  • Classic Soft Trim Custom Leather for both seats w/ Alacantara perforated centers = 600 (got a deal)

So roughtly 1200 bucks got rid of that garbage red interior and got me fresh custom leather on the seats.

Before:

During:

Final Product:

While I had it all apart I also added a:

And some:

Since the factory radio/speakers are so terrible. Dynamatted the doors while I had them apart as well.

What does everyone think? I chose the color combo because my girlfriend has a 2005 White STi....(I know I am a dork/fruit whatever)
Old 02-10-2012 | 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Looks great!
Old 02-10-2012 | 02:06 PM

^^^ Thanks! All taht is left on the inside for me to be happy is the e-brake and the steering wheel. They are beat up. So torn on replacing the wheel and losing my airbag though. :-(
Old 02-10-2012 | 03:08 PM

damn that looks great!
Old 02-10-2012 | 08:47 PM
20 Year Member

On the face of the seats, the black part is that leather or suede? It looks like it is a different shade than the black leather on the back of the seats.
Old 02-11-2012 | 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by vr0om
On the face of the seats, the black part is that leather or suede? It looks like it is a different shade than the black leather on the back of the seats.

That may just be a lighting issue. Only the blue is Alacantara. That said, almost every factory "leather" seats, only the part you sit on is real leather, and the sides and back are a vinyl (fake leather). So the top side of the seats/headrest are genuine leather, and the side/back of the seats are vinyl.

Other than your super highline cars, that is how it comes OEM as well. (Subaru/Honda/Nissan etc) Not 100% on s2000 OEM seats, but the accord/civic etc is this way.

In person you cannot see/feel much of a difference unless someone tells you to pay close attention.
Old 02-11-2012 | 03:18 PM

Though I think it's horrid that you got rid of a GPW with red interior (my favorite), the end result looks really good. The seat covers would actually look great in my Suzuka Blue
Old 02-12-2012 | 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by IrishInIsengard
Though I think it's horrid that you got rid of a GPW with red interior (my favorite), the end result looks really good. The seat covers would actually look great in my Suzuka Blue

To each their own on the red I guess. I didn't mind the two tone red/black from the AP2, but the all red seats and the red carpet was nasty to me. Wish I had pics of how beat the interior was....it was a Hawaii car and the guy must have left the top down all day every day. Close to pink from fading :-)
Old 02-12-2012 | 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteAP1ftw
To each their own on the red I guess. I didn't mind the two tone red/black from the AP2, but the all red seats and the red carpet was nasty to me. Wish I had pics of how beat the interior was....it was a Hawaii car and the guy must have left the top down all day every day. Close to pink from fading :-)

That's a different story. I can see how the all red would have fading problems. It's harder to keep the luster of reds deep.
Old 02-13-2012 | 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by IrishInIsengard
Originally Posted by WhiteAP1ftw' timestamp='1329054584' post='21406840

That's a different story. I can see how the all red would have fading problems. It's harder to keep the luster of reds deep.
Yeah it sucked. Had they done a black carpet, with two-tone doors and seats I would have been fine with that. Since I was gutting anyhow, thought I would go with the Subaru STi scheme.

Important to note that aside from my GF driving an STi, I also am the Sales Manager of a Subaru dealership and have been with them since 1999. This is my first foray into a non-Subaru since having an s14 back in 200-2001.

Quick Reply: Gutted Out the Nasty Red AP1 Interior-Opinons?