S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

DIY Stock Shift Boot "stiffy" :lol:

Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 PM
xoz

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY Stock Shift Boot "stiffy" :lol:

I always use to see pics of a nice clean flush shift boot, with the lock nut hidden. I wondered how the hell they got it like that, read about zip ties and cut off pieces of hose, even newer boot types. So I decided to tackle this today, ended up creating yet another version of "shift boot stiffy"...

From some left over HT window seal, note: the squashed down end from being rubber banded with my seals kit, cut about an inch and a bit off.

Remove the center console (this just pops off easily) and the shift knob and locking nut.

Slip the cut off rubber piece over the shift rod, with the squashed off end up.
Put the console back in place feeding the "inside out" part of the boot on to the shift rod and over the new rubber piece, replace the shift locking nut, fiddle with it enough to get the boot covering the the lock nut. Press down on the top of the shift boot, to expose the locking nut enough so that you can adjust and tighten.
Replace the shift knob. Feeling the top of the boot feels firm, can't feel any zip ties or hose pieces in this boot. All done, all time permanent "shift boot stiffy"!!!!..

Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really need to try this. My OEM boot is sagging some and I hate the look of it, its even lower than my countersunk knob. I got some extra seals from my hardtop also, so i'm going to do this asap.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here I need to do this to my s
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by xoz
I always use to see pics of a nice clean flush shift boot, with the lock nut hidden. I wondered how the hell they got it like that, read about zip ties and cut off pieces of hose, even newer boot types. So I decided to tackle this today, ended up creating yet another version of "shift boot stiffy"...

From some left over HT window seal, note: the squashed down end from being rubber banded with my seals kit, cut about an inch and a bit off.

Remove the center console (this just pops off easily) and the shift knob and locking nut.

Slip the cut off rubber piece over the shift rod, with the squashed off end up.
Put the console back in place feeding the "inside out" part of the boot on to the shift rod and over the new rubber piece, replace the shift locking nut, fiddle with it enough to get the boot covering the the lock nut. Press down on the top of the shift boot, to expose the locking nut enough so that you can adjust and tighten.
Replace the shift knob. Feeling the top of the boot feels firm, can't feel any zip ties or hose pieces in this boot. All done, all time permanent "shift boot stiffy"!!!!..

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM

Nice job. I just can't seem to remove the console on my 2006. I am afraid I will break the clips if I pull too hard. I grab from the front but it doesn't seem to want to give.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 AM

Where do you get this HT window seal?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jhclark28
Nice job. I just can't seem to remove the console on my 2006. I am afraid I will break the clips if I pull too hard. I grab from the front but it doesn't seem to want to give.
Pull from the rear and just work your way up to the front. I've removed mine 20+ times between 4 different s2k's and never broken a clip.
Grab the leather from each side and pull up.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM

WOW...brilliant solution, i just did this in mine, it took about 5-10 minutes to do. I just grabbed about 3" of pipe insulation wrap off my hot water pipes in the basement! Worked like a charm! Thanks.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great solution. I used foam pipe insulation, the kind you use to reduce cold water pipe sweating. Pop front of the console, slip in a 2.5 inch piece. you're done, looks great.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toekneer
Great solution. I used foam pipe insulation, the kind you use to reduce cold water pipe sweating. Pop front of the console, slip in a 2.5 inch piece. you're done, looks great.
This has made shifting quiter and silky smooth. I don't understand it,but I like it a lot.

Quick Reply: DIY Stock Shift Boot "stiffy" :lol: