S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

AP1 Headrest speakers? S-Pod, Ebay, OEM?

Old 02-17-2012 | 10:27 AM

Default AP1 Headrest speakers? S-Pod, Ebay, OEM?

Im looking to put some headrest speakers in my AP1 2000 model.

I was looking on the forum and came across the spods for $220shipped
http://www.streetsmarttechnologies.net/

I also came across these on ebay which appear to be the same thing for $55

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-S2000-...item3a708aac07

The oem ones are abit pricey $400

Anyone have and feedback on these and what will work perfectly in my 2000 AP1? Not looking to spend alot of money but need some better speakers in the car. Was looking to replace the door speakers add the headrest ones and get a 4 channel amp to power them all. Any feedback?
Old 02-17-2012 | 10:29 AM

Get the ebay ones, they are pretty much the exact same as the $200 ones, and will work great.

The OEM ones are about as good as the OEM door speakers... crap... don't waste your money.
Old 02-17-2012 | 10:47 AM

thanks for the reply! any recomendations on speakers, i was thinking ones with a tweeter component? Looking for some decent quality speakers dont want to skimp here.
Old 02-17-2012 | 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by bbova
thanks for the reply! any recomendations on speakers, i was thinking ones with a tweeter component? Looking for some decent quality speakers dont want to skimp here.
Depends on your personal preference, brand loyalty, and budget.

I'm not a super hardcore audiophile by any means, but personally I prefer full range Rockford Fosgate speakers.

I have these in my doors and they sound pretty great in my opinion... especially for the money. Probably going to add the same ones in the roll hoops soon.

Like I said, all up to your preferences though.
Old 02-25-2012 | 05:32 AM

I bought the ebay roll hoop speaker brackets myself.....but thought they were too flimsy and actually broke one ....I then bought some thicker MDF to make my own fronts. I used his rear sections and traced out his pattern on the MDF for the fronts. I left the back sections with the black fabric and wrapped the fronts in a vinyl leather grained material in a red that matches my Black/red interior. I think it looks great and the sound is really night and day from no roll speakers to having them. As far as speakers go I am now a big fan of both Focal and Diamond Audio speakers. I have 6.5 inch components of each and the system sounds awesome. The only other thing to think about with separate components is that you have passive crossovers to mount as well...
Old 02-25-2012 | 10:33 AM

Had S-Pods in my first S2000 and now, again, in my current S. No complaints whatsoever with the product. Aluminum/some kind of mdf backing covered with the same leather that is in our cars. My only issue was with my second set, where the glue used to keep the leather skin on the front needed a little assistance in sticking to the cover.

IMO worth the money, but I've never experienced the quality of the ebay knockoff.
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:06 PM

The eBay one doesn't seem to be a knockoff. The guy who is selling it appears to be a fellow S2k owner as well. If anyone here bought the eBay kit, please share some pictures!
Old 08-26-2012 | 02:51 PM
15 Year Member

the oem speakers look really weak. My car had S-pods when I got it, I removed them as I didn't care for the look from the rear with the top down, I prefer to have the roll hoops open to let in more light when the roof is up. The pods were more than powerful though, sitting right behind your head, if you like that much sound in that location then that is the way to go.

I have gone with some 4 inch 3-way Kenwoods in the vented panels behind the two seats, this is my favourite setup. Not as loud as speakers right behind your head but plenty of sound to give the setup some nice balance and added ambiance, plenty of enough sound to easily overcome road noise of this vehicle.

Old 04-18-2014 | 06:07 AM

Bump this back up... I just bought some ebay ones, I had to email the guy because he sold his 'last' one. He actually said he wasn't going to make anymore for selling on eBay, so I don't know if they will be available soon
Old 04-18-2014 | 06:44 AM

Funny story, im the guy who bought the last template lol. Sorry :/ I have them just sitting here still deciding on speaker options.

Quick Reply: AP1 Headrest speakers? S-Pod, Ebay, OEM?