The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado today

Old 05-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec9,May 14 2006, 08:32 PM
I have been through an F3 tornado. It came about 100m from my apt. It f'd up the paint on my car. It flipped over and literally ripped apart cars 50 ft from mine. Was a ridiculous experience.
That would have been so cool!!!!!! except for the paint part...
Old 05-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I was going crazy and loving it to begin with. I was watching it out the window (probably not the best idea) since it wasn't all that close.. it was all dandy until it started creeping towards the lot with my car.. then I started to get worried I was extremely lucky that there was minimal damage to my vehicle. A good amount of paint chips, and two broken windows.. but this was nothing compared to other cars. maybe 10 parking spaces away there was a corvette flipped upside down, ON TOP of another car. a few rows over there was a jeep that was literally ripped apart.

Lots of buildings got damaged.. parts of roofs ripped off etc.. I actually saw a car flying around in the tornado waaay up int he air.. I later found out that it had two occupants, both of which died. It was an insane yet tragic experience.. one I will never forget.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Community Organizer

Wow.. I bet
Old 05-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Katrina went over my area when I was livin in the south. I know the feeling.. Hope that no one got hurt!
Old 05-14-2006, 08:34 PM

Pretty Crazy
Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM

cool pics, glad that you were safe.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:18 PM

I'm fascinated by tornados, but would be scared as hell if I was in one. Glad you made it out safe
Old 05-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Coming from Oklahoma, I have to say that was not the smartest thing to do. You could have very easily gotten yourself in a bad situation in a hurry. I do understand your excitement though and fortunately you got out fine.

Not sure how aware everyone is of the May 3rd, 1999 tornadoes that came through Oklahoma. 318mph winds (1mph short of the so-called F6 tornado, and the strongest ever recorded.) It was over a mile wide at the base at one point and was on the ground for some 40 something minutes if i recall correctly.

Here are pics I found on the web:

MulderATO: If you are intersted, there are actually groups out there of professional storm chasers that will take groups from the public with them for a chance to chase a tornado. At least you are with someone that knows how to do so safely. They had an entire episode on the discovery channel over it.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by b00stn,May 15 2006, 12:34 AM
Coming from Oklahoma, I have to say that was not the smartest thing to do. You could have very easily gotten yourself in a bad situation in a hurry. I do understand your excitement though and fortunately you got out fine.

MulderATO: If you are intersted, there are actually groups out there of professional storm chasers that will take groups from the public with them for a chance to chase a tornado. At least you are with someone that knows how to do so safely. They had an entire episode on the discovery channel over it.
Oh trust me, if it had been anything larger than an F1, I would have kept some distance. I am the type that every hurricane we get, I head for the coast... I am a junkie for this kind of stuff!

I was actually planning on heading out to the plains on one of those trips just to get a chance to see one next year, thing didnt work out for me this year due to a new job. I was planing on majoring in meteorology but the closest school to offer that was in NC.. and paying school on my own, I couldn't afford the out of state tuition. My only mistake was getting on the NE side of it , but it was disappearing and reappearing speratically. Some other people got pics from different locations in town, Ill post as soon as I can.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Community Organizer

Here are some other's pix from the same storm..

Quick Reply: Woo Hoo! I got to chase a tornado today