The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

ss04's pursuit for OEM-ish perfection - Car is SOLD! NSX-T is the replacement :)

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys I have some new engine cosmetic bling on the way soon!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool car!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Man your car is cleeeaaaaannnnn!! I love that color, and the subtle look of the car..

It's aggressive and classy..
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Amazing job man! I really like how you've kept this car looking stock, yet there's nothing stock about it.
Ferrari Grigio has to be the best looking SS color ever..

Keep up the great work.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

Loved the update. Now I know who to ask for help. My car is just went inside the paint booth today for being Painted Moonrck Grey Pearl. And the shop included a wetsand and buff in the deal. But here is what I am not sure about.

1- What grit sand papers did you use? What was your highest grit that you used, and what was the lowest?
2- What process did you use and why? Block sanding or DA Sander?

The reason why I am asking this is because I have seen a lot of detailers on Autopia.org use DA's to clear out the orange peel while the shop insisted on block sanding it. And I am not really comfortable with the shop doing it, because I saw another one o their work and it didn't amaze me that good. But they said they will make sure mine is right.

3- What compounds, and pads did you use?

I would love to know all this, and I am most probably going to do this, so tell me how hard it is , I know its very hard and time consuming. Did my Accord once but just a few spots not the whole car
Old 01-26-2012, 08:19 PM

Thanks guys. Suspension updates will be coming soon!

For AliGhanizad:

1) I used 1500 grit, 2000 grit, 2500 grit, and 3000 grit, all depending on how bad the orange peel and what panels needed the most flattening.
2) I block sanded it, with Meguiars Unigrit sanding pads/paper. If I were to do it again, I would probably use a DA because block sanding was a incredibly ssslllooooowwwww process.
3) I used 3M Extra Cut Compound with a 3M wool pad for the first step, and then Menzerna SIP and 106FA for the final steps.

The last and final answer to "how hard is it?":

I would not wish this process on my worst enemies lol. It is so time consuming and tedious. I suppose you could whip through it and not do the best job but once you start, there is no return, and you are not happy until it's perfect. However Ali, judging from your recent DIY posts I'd figure you are up for the challenge.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM

I had been checking back on the thread to see when your reply lol. Thanks a lot for the info, I figured you would use different grits depending on the amount of orange peel. I hope you liked the DIYs , may be ill make one for wetsanding and buffing out. hahah

Btw, I also wanted to know what kind of paint you/body shop used for your car. At first I really did not know much about paint but once the car got in the shop, I started researching etc. I really wanted PPG but for the price I am getting the paint job, the shop wasn't willing to do it. And nor was he ready to knock off the price if I brought him the material myself. He is using House of Kolor products I think for Moonrock Grey and adding blue pearl to the clear coat.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

My car has PPG base with their best/hardest PPG clear coat. I don't know any more specifics than that sorry!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM

I figured it would be PPG. Thanks for the info. Do you know how many coats of clear was on it? I want to aim at like 6-7 because I dont want to burn through the clear when buffing it out .

Thank you once again for all the info, helped a lot.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 PM

I don't know how many coats of clear but I asked them to put extra on it because I was going to be wetsanding it. I think 6-7 coats is a bit overkill but I'm no expert! 2-3 decent coats should be more than enough I would think?

Quick Reply: ss04's pursuit for OEM-ish perfection - Car is SOLD! NSX-T is the replacement :)