The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

silverstone help all makes and years

Old 03-29-2005, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silverstone help all makes and years

this is not my car but whats with the rear bumper

i think my04 rear is a lil off (paintwise)

i bought myo4 brand new no accidents but now im starting 2 think the rear paint is a lil off i've noticed a lot of others silverstones with the same paint problem

agree or no
Old 03-29-2005, 11:17 PM

bump
Old 03-30-2005, 01:38 AM
tru

repainted maybe?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:50 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 5 different shades of Silverstone paint

I've learned this the hard way. Even right now my front bumper (aftermarket) is a tad off because the paint shop used my gas door to match, but my hood and fenders were reshot not that long ago via blending so the front end of the car is a different shade than the back - but - you wouldn't know it because the paint was blended. I just have to get the bumper resprayed using the hood or front fenders to match the color

This isn't the first time it has happened to me with this car and it certainly isn't the first time I've seen a Silverstone go through this. Now that I think about it almost every Silverstone I've seen have paint work makes two trips to the body shop

If you think Silverstone is bad, try Spa Yellow: 13 color variations
Old 03-30-2005, 04:40 AM

When I first got my car (new) there was a little "shipping ding" on the front bumper that the dealer compensated me for and fixed for free. When it was painted the paint didnt totally match either.

When I had my sides painted I had them done off the car - I would say the match is about 90% - its just at one particular time of day or in a certain light that the match sucks!

It is ALWAYS best to get things painted "on the car" (by that I mean leave the car too) and spend the little extra to get it blended. I am having my sides redone and the bumpers and hood all blended in so hopefully there wont be another trip!

One thing you also have to remember is that when you are directly talking about the shade of the rear bumper to the car, you are talking about two different materials, and that will always produce slightly varying results with the same paint used.

Its a lottery - just make sure you choose a bodyshop who shows you samples of their work and that you are confident in dealing with.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:30 AM

in certain lights it looks and seems the paint matches but in darker lighter you can tell ..., i just thought it was wierd bc i bought the car new and im like factory paint should be perfect already...,

all good one day in the summer i'll get it resprayed bc it bothers me
Old 03-30-2005, 08:37 AM

I've noticed that many Suzuka, Spa, and Silvestone s2k's show slight variations in color over body parts. Its most noticable when you compare the bumpers and fenders or metal to plastic. On my car I don't see any difference between the metal work and bumpers but there is a very slight difference when I compare the plastic pieces that cover the mounting points for the hard top.

I wonder if this variation is due to the materials that are being painted or is it possible that they paint the body seperate from the plastic parts and its just that the paint angle is different and therefore reflects light at a differing angle...don't know much about the S2k build process.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:55 AM

I just experienced this problem when my 05 was rearended. The initial paint they sprayed the bumber with just did not look right. After a lot of complaining the body shop re-sprayed it.
Basically the problem is the bumper material being sprayed is plastic, obvously the body is metal. This causes the metal-flake in the paint to do different things. Compounded by different shades of the paint. All in all, a good painter should be able to match the body very closely. They need to put aditives in the paint to make the metallics "Flop" over correctly. Otherwise the metal flakes will stand on end on plastic.

Now that my car is done, and done right, you cannot tell the bumper was ever re-shot.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i made 2 trips to the body shop as well, first time used the paint code, the hood was too dark.

the second time i handed them my gascap, and it was done right.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:05 AM

guys, plain and simple, metal and plastic will have a different shade of color. any car will have a different shade on the metal fender, ,hoods, etc compared to the plastic bumpers. socold, you're fine!

Quick Reply: silverstone help all makes and years