The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

My Caddy on 23's

Old 07-16-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's another example that may make relating easier:

When I was younger, we lived in a very humble neighborhood. What was cool about it was that it was very, very multicultural.

There was caucasions Catholics, Jewish, blacks (I use this term because there were more than African-Americans...there were Carribbeans, mid-east, etc.), Mexicans, and we were the only Indian family (as oppose to Native Americans).

I had friends in each of those culturally differed "groups".

When the ice cream truck came around and we didn't have enough for the Gumball2000 (the pink ice cream in a cone shaped cup with a gumball at the bottom of it), and we had to get the normal tri-flavored popsicle, it was called being Mexican.

When the ice cream truck came around and we did have enough for the Gumball2000 and opted for the tri-colored popsicle, it was called being a Hajjii (sp?)

When the ice cream truck came around and we had enough for the Gumball2000 for everyone in the group, yet only bought yourself one, it was called being a Jew.

When the ice cream truck came around and we didn't have enough for the Gumball2000 because we pissed away the money your mom snuck you on a set of baseball cards for the piece of cardboard gum, it was called being White.

When the ice cream truck came around and we didn't have enough for the Gumball2000 and then you got your a$$ whooped by your father's belt because you had the audacity to ask for more money so that you can get a Gumball2000 after you bought the set of baseball cards for the piece of cardboard gum and then lost the cards, it was called being Black.

Mind you, this was the late '70's and as kids, things were funny when we called someone out a name to fit the stereotype that we had for each other's cultural group....each characteristic was understood by every other in that neighborhood.

I was apart of the Dumbarton Oaks crew (the street that the 18 of us lived on), and hell hath no fury like the one we had when the Riley St. gang (the neighboring street group consisting of 6 kids...2 of them were big) would call any of us out anything....hell, even if they called me a "hajjiiii" It was on.

Why was it like that? I understood what was meant when one of my own called me out something....when someone from outside called it out, they weren't apart of the group...it was understood as derogatory.

Did this make anything clearer?

[EDITOR'S NOTE] I had some real issues writing this out and posting this. I hope to not have offended anyone. This is a posting just to relay my experiences as a child and not a reflection of my mentality as an adult who has seen many different situations, is very well travelled, and is very well networked with many different cultural communities.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice disclaimer
Old 07-16-2002, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the explanation, but I understand ghetto and that is my opinion of the truck. He posted the picture and I responded. It was nothing personal and he didn't seem to take it as such. Not everyone likes the look. Excuse me for not lining up to suck his dick.

What I take offence to, is some kid stating he thinks I should be shot in the head for my opinion and geographic designation of somebody's truck. That is exactly the mentality that will keep pathetic ass in the ghetto.

And you know damn well I am brown, not white. I am educated and well traveled. I don't need a lesson in ghetto.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please try and keep it civil, it's a truck for god sakes. You like it or you don't. Play nice.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:51 AM

Man...such hostility in your post towards me. Firstly, no one is lining up to suck anyone's....!

I hope you didn't take any offense from what I posted,....apparently, you took offense to him stating his opinion for wanting those of us that don't like the look to be shot in the head. BTW, I read what he wrote to mean the one's that he thinks should be shot in the head are not the one's who don't like the look, but those of us who think that look is best described as ghetto.

What I find hypocritical is that he took offense and posted something less than classy and immature (referring to the comment of some folks being shot in the head). But then you felt offended so you post something less than classy and immature back (referring to the comment of his mentality keeping his a$$ in the ghetto).

You go on to say that I know damn well that you're not white and that you're brown. Have I met you before, are you Nick?...the one I went on a drive with when I came out to CO? If so, no, I didn't know you were brown (what ethnicity?). I thought you were caucasion.

Lesson in ghetto...has yet to come. What I was trying to explain was how a description can be fun to one group, but be deemed as derogatory to another group.

Being educated and well travelled doesn't happen to mean you have a good understanding of other's perceptions and mentality...in fact, they can cloud basic thought moreso.

**EDIT AS FOLLOWING**

I just came back from a short break with my co-workers. Today it was with three caucasion guys. We were all talking and someone brought up barbecuing out in Round Lake, IL (very under developed suburb of Chicago...but is growing rapidly). Another co-worker described the particular situation we were discussing as white-trashy. I chuckelled because of the recent trend to describe things as "white-trashy"....in fact we were talking about monster trucks.

Any caucasians take any offense for things to be described in such a manner?
Old 07-16-2002, 11:59 AM

BTW,

I don't like the look. Hell I think the "baller" style is just a waste of money.

But wait, the "ricer" style of my Prelude may be seen as a waste by the racer's of this board.....which can be seen as a less than sociable description.

Hell all the Mugen accessories on my S2K may be seen as a waste by those in the non-Mugen racer camp...just check out the "Under the Hood" section as of recent.
Old 07-16-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Nin009
Excuse me for not lining up to suck his...
I understand how you could get tired of doing it when it's an everyday occurrence for you

<waiting to get flamed>
Old 07-16-2002, 04:49 PM
Banned

OK time for me to close this thread !! People out of control all I wanted was opinions good or bad..