The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Looking for a new digital camera

Old 04-26-2002, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new digital camera

hiya folks, I'm looking for a new digital camera and was wondering if any of you have any suggestions as to which one I should get. I'm assuming most of you guys and gals are taking pictures of your S2k with a digital camera, right? Of course, I'm not talking about a camera that's gonna break the bank either. I'd figure anywhere between $300 to $1000 sounds reasonable. Your opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:19 PM

oops, I think I posted this on the wrong forum. Maybe this ought to be under group buys and for sale or off topic. Anyways, I still need your opinons.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic has been discussed many many times. If you do a search on 'Digital Cameras' you'll find lots of threads.

My very quick advice avoiding any particular brand:-

It's a competitive market right now prices are coming down so you've loads of choice.

Go for at least 3 mega pixels.
Look for USB connectivity. Serial port connectors are terribly slow uploading pics to your P.C.
Look for a good zoom range on the lens
Look for a power adapter bundled with the camera, they can be very expensive as a separate purchase.

Consider forking out a bit more money for a larger media storage card. My NIkon using highest res uncompressed TIFF format gets just 5- 9mb shots on a 45 mb card.

Get one that has a conventional viewfinder as well as the LCD screen. The screen is a heavy drainer of battery power.

Get a set of NimH batteries and a charger, you'll be amazed at how much longer the batteries last
Old 04-26-2002, 01:39 PM

Here's a good review site that I used when I bought my camera:

http://www.dpreview.com

-Brian
Old 04-27-2002, 04:18 PM

Check out a Canon PowerShot G2 !
High quality photos and mpegs with sound.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/G2/index.html
Old 04-27-2002, 04:26 PM

I have a Canon Digital ELPH S110 and a Sony Cybershot DSC-P5. Both of them are excellent cameras. Each has it's positive and negative points. Overall, I like the Sony interface and the way it's designed.

Check out the top of the line Cybershot DSC-F707 ($999). Features an outsourced Carl Zeiss lens with auto or manual hand focus. 5.0MP, 5X Optical etc. Anyways just a suggestion
Old 04-27-2002, 06:02 PM

when I was in CA, I found a great selection at a store called Best Buy..

-simon2000
Old 04-27-2002, 08:28 PM

This question is right up my alley I'm a portrait and wedding photographer and I shoot digitally. I shoot with the Nikon D1x (camera body alone is $5000).

For a prosumer camera I would recommend one of the Nikon Coolpix cameras. Nikon Optics are excellent. Cool pix camera are under $1000. Nikon just came out with the Coolpix 5000 (5.1 megapixels) for about $1000.

I regularly purchase from the following camera stores online:
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.cameraworld.com
www.calumetphoto.com

These are reputable stores and do not pull the 'ole bait-n-switch games. Good luck with your purchase and have some fun!

I'll be posting some photos of my S2000 soon
Old 04-28-2002, 09:20 AM

If your looking for a digital camera thats most like a film SLR, go for the Olympus E-10. The newer version (E-20) was released not too long ago, so prices have dropped to just below $1000. 4.0 megapixels, 35-140mm(equivalent) zoom, and a real TTL (through the lens)viewfinder, so you can see exactly what you are taking and don't waste batteries with a tiny LCD. It aslo has the larger 2" screen on the back however. Anyway, its a larger, chunky camera, not a pocket camera, but it takes far better pictures because of the amazing lens. Its something for the serious ameteur photographer. Ive also had good luck with the smaller canons, the build quality is excellent.

With any of the cameras you are looking at you can use www.pricescan.com or www.mysimon.com to find a good price. Beware of some of these online dealers, however. Some will try to sell you a grey market (non-US) version. These are generally cheaper, but will have no warranty, which is a bad idea IMHO. Make sure you ask that it has a warranty thorugh the manufacturer in the US.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:07 AM

If you are looking for something small and light, this one looks worth waiting for - http://www.exilim.co.uk/press.htm

Quick Reply: Looking for a new digital camera