The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Gran Turismo 4 Pics

Old 07-27-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks to me like screen shots of the cinematics in the game

Cinematics are always much better than the actuall game because they are rendered out to be movies in between game segments or for the intro reel.

Look at diablo II or star craft for instance (old school I know) the cinematics blew away the game because all of the processor was reserved for playback and display and not for crunching the game engine and inputs.

If those high res shots were done during actual game play then you are looking at the PSX4!! IMO the PSX2 does not have the proccessor to be able to display that many polygons and texture maps WHILE it was processing the game engine and all the variables at the same time -- no way Jose!

PSX2 cant even hang with XBOX right now concerning res and polygons.

No flames intended, just my take on the situation
Old 07-27-2004, 06:40 PM

Any pics of the Amuse S2000?

The orange one that's in the Best Motoring Videos. That's the car I want to drive.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:43 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These pics aren't made for show or from cinematics... These are in game pics from GT4's high res photo mode. If you think I'm still full of shit, then go google it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...=gt4+photo+mode
Old 07-28-2004, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by mav,Jul 28 2004, 01:43 PM
These pics aren't made for show or from cinematics... These are in game pics from GT4's high res photo mode. If you think I'm still full of shit, then go google it.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...=gt4+photo+mode
So exactly. These are not in-game realtime in-motion captures is what we're referring to. It's a still photo mode that we're referring to as for "show".
Old 07-28-2004, 09:20 AM

Using that link to google you gave I clicked on the first return link and it describes the game's "photo-mode" which does this most likely:

It freezes your play back (replay) of the race you choose with all the information needed (camera angle, which track, weather, day/night, etc etc to re-render a single frame with high res texture maps and lighting information.

To say again, this is not how the game is going to look like when being played live. If it were to try to render that high of quality in real time it would shut down the processor in a few seconds.

the only way I could see it getting anywhere close to these high res shots in game play is if they have adopted the same type of environment mapping used in the Riddick game recently released. They (Riddick game designers) came up with a new mapping system that stores lighting, texture, reflectiveness and luminosity information in the skin information of a given object. This allows for much smaller file sizes when rendering. I don't think the GT designers had this technology when producing this version of the game. I may be wrong.

No doubt the game will look awesome but just not picture perfect awesome like these stills are showing. hell, I love A-spec so any improvement will be SWEET! to me

Think back to GT2 when you unlocked the High Res mode it was a single track and it had issues. It was great considering the platform at the time but like everything in the console game world it is a give and take. More functionality and scope of game (think Grand theft auto-vice city) = less ability to render graphics and vise-versa

Keep in mind when you see CAGE in movies and such, it takes weeks and sometimes months to render out all the frames for a given sequence and that is with multi tera-flop machines.

I am sorry for my rant but it something I know a thing or two about and had to at least offer a possible explaination.

I love the shots though and will own this game.

Whurd!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy with GT3 graphics... the gameplay is top notch, I still was doing time attacks the other night at Laguna Seca on there
Old 07-28-2004, 09:56 AM

I think the Debate wasent wether or not these were game play graphics, but videos made speccifically for shows like E3.

Anyone whos ever playd The GT series knows that the Replays are where the games graphics really shine. And Even after youve playd the game for years, Youll still catch your self watching some of ure fave replays.

Some people were stating that we werent going to even get these graphics at game realease... and that isnt the case...
Old 08-28-2004, 04:58 AM

I did test drive GT4 some months ago...the game is ca 85% finished.

I could drive the Nuerburgring Nordschleife inside a Falken Skyline!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:17 PM

The pic of the Skyline is the game mode that you can place any car in any track using different angles, perpective, lens, ect, to take a picture that you can store in the memory card. That's what I got from GTplanet.net
Old 08-28-2004, 09:15 PM

Gran Turismo

Quick Reply: Gran Turismo 4 Pics