The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

DIY Camera mount in the works

Old 07-20-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt like an uber nerd, no doubt. But the full length video is pretty neat - driving over a big bridge near where I live and hitting some good speed.

Any other Laguna owners notice how close the tape comes to matching our cars? Pretty cool.

Lots of enhancing work to be done on the rig. I noticed when I was taking it apart that the feet were not very well secured. The top was pretty solid, but because the bottom could move it caused bad vibration. So that'll need to be fixed. And I'll find something to do with the mic. It's flat on the top of the camera - I'm thinking of just putting a piece of tape over it and being done. Really the camera needs to be replaced. Maybe I can borrow a better one from a family member or something.

It was fun to see it work, but needs lots of improvement.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Racer,Jul 20 2007, 11:08 PM
damn.... seem like you spent quite some time. Why not buy one of those wide mount with suction cups and a 12 or 18" extention for the camera?

http://www.stickypod.com/
It's on the list, but I'm not gung-ho for spending money on this just yet.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Nice... the view is like a video game but the wind noise is a bitch.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:07 AM

Not in the public video I did go out on the road and drove around quite a lot. The rig was secure, in that it wasn't going to fall off. But it very much needs to be rigidified. And of course "... the wind noise is a bitch", but I've got ideas for that.

Last night I came to the conclusion that a monopod would work as good, perhaps better, than a tripod. And three ropes are all that are required. That would make it lighter for sure, and oddly enough I think it would make it more solid. It would be more configurable at least. Having to deal with the placement of three feet is a real pain in the ass.

Someone else did a rig like this off the side of their car. Does anyone remember who that was or have any idea how to find the thread? I've done a few searches and not really gotten anywhere.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Please remove that abomination immediately.

There are reasonable alternatives available. Check out ZTEC Indstries.

-Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Kodokan_4,Jul 21 2007, 09:23 AM] Please remove that abomination immediately.

There are reasonable alternatives available. Check out ZTEC Indstries.

*snip*

-Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the guy above you is getting confused. it may have something to do with your title this isnt a camera mount its called a rig. lol i think that guys thinks you drive like that all the time!! HAHA
Old 07-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_AP2,Jul 21 2007, 07:57 AM
i think the guy above you is getting confused. it may have something to do with your title this isnt a camera mount its called a rig. lol i think that guys thinks you drive like that all the time!! HAHA
No. The only thing I'm confused about is why someone would risk damaging the paint on the car when it's not necessary. Plus, what could happen to the car and the camera equipment if the rig comes loose (which it will, when you hit the open road).

-Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=Kodokan_4,Jul 21 2007, 10:08 AM]No. The only thing I'm confused about is why someone would risk damaging the paint on the car when it's not necessary. Plus, what could happen to the car and the camera equipment if the rig comes loose (which it will, when you hit the open road).

-Pete
Old 07-21-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a pretty cool view.

To get rid of the wind noise, you can get an external microphone for $15 and place it in the cabin.

It would be cool to use a remote for the camera to zoom out to provide a wider field of view.

Quick Reply: DIY Camera mount in the works