The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Countersunk stock knob

Old 05-13-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Countersunk stock knob

Well, this is my first time posting any sort of mod on the site, so I apologize if its not complete. Plus I apologize if this has been posted, but I have never seen it here before.
-
This is for those of us out there that love our stock shifter knobs. Personally, I love my02 knob. Even though I have wanted a countersunk knob, I wasnt willing to change mine out. So after talking to Turnfast at the charlotte Zaino clinic who countersunk his, I knew that was the way to go.

I talked it over w/my roomate we removed the knob and flange nut and threaded the rest of the shaft until it widends out.

----------
In the process of threading the shaft, we had to use vice grips at the top for grip (that was ok since we were planning to cut off some to drop the knob anyway....At this point we used a dremel and vacuum(to reduce mess) and cut off some of the shaft.

-
11/16" to be exact. It took 2 trys to find the right height, but we did!!

==============
Next he had to "bore out" a little from the inside of the knob so that it would drop further - we worked our way up to a 1/2" drill bit.

===============
When it was all said and done, we dropped off a total of 11/16" from the previous hight. this provided to major bonus's.
1. The obvious = the knob is lower.
2. that gap between the leather and the knob is no longer present:

================================================== ====
I apologize, as I forgot to take pictures before we got started. So i dont have a before and after pic, but everyone here should know that anyway. This worked out as well as I had inticipated, and looks so much better than the stock position. And well worth the 30-45 min it took to do. So there you have it, my first "true" mod, and all thanks to Turnfast for planting the idea in my head.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:38 PM

looks tight~
Old 05-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet!
Old 05-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Nice job.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:36 PM

cknebusch - are you still using the lock nut or do you just have the knob screwed down all the way? BTW, great pics. Thx.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, great idea!

Qube's Miscellaneous Mod #1 - Countersunk, Polished Stock Shift Knob

I was actually annoyed by being able to feel the shift boot at the bottom of the knob. If you are too, you can cut off and replace the zip tie that determines the diameter of the boot hole. You'll see it if you take off the center console trim piece and look at the boot from the inside. Just cut off the old one and replace it, but don't tighten it as much as the old one.

Nice touch, cutting the shifter down! So are you still using the original locknut?
Old 05-13-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One more question... why did you need to drill out the knob again? You're either going to not have a large enough diameter to clear the threads, or drill out the original threads. I think if you tap threads in the hole you made, you'll be able to sink the knob lower.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:48 PM

I am no longer using the lock nut, as the knob is now sitting on the base. The reason i tapped out some of the knob is it allowed me to screw it all the way down to the base, where it is tight, and not "moving"..
-
after further checking, and all is said and done i actually dropped it almost an entire INCH, and have noticed a considerable difference in the "feeling". I have been driving the rest of the day, and am very pleased that my hand and arm rest on the consol, and not up an inch. I love how the boot and knob are flush, but my only concern will be the possible wear of the leather around that meeting point. But only time will tell
Old 05-13-2003, 08:06 PM

nice work there... oh yeah... i want those gloves!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:07 PM

Hey DJ... If I sent you my 03 know could you countersink it??

-JB-

Quick Reply: Countersunk stock knob