The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Alpine 7" DVD in-dash roll-away, will it fit in the S2000?

Old 03-18-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine 7" DVD in-dash roll-away, will it fit in the S2000?

I am considering installing a nice amount of In Car Equipment in my S2000. I would like the center piece to be the Alpine 7" wide-screen roll-away DVD player (model TEM-E790). This unit fits in the O.E. radio slot. I have two major concerns.
The first is whether the screen's arms will extend far enough to clear the dashboard? As we all know the S has a curved dash. It happens to come to a point over the radio. My friend who owns a speed shop assures me that the arms are long enough due to the fact that there are three stages of length.
The second concern is will the screen deploy into the shifter as it is coming out and swiveling up? This is something I thought of last night in my St. Patty's day stupper. It is a valid point none-the-less. I may need to drop the shifter into 2, 4, or 6 for the screen to make it out, which is fine, but I don't want to spend a small fortune on this thing just to sell it because there is not enough room.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. And if anyone has a roll-away installed in their S or has seen it in an S please post up. I really need to know if it will work.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:07 AM

Forgive my ignorance as I am truly curious, but what is the draw to putting a DVD player in your car? I can understand if you have kids or some other large passenger vehicle, but its not like you can watch a DVD while you drive anyway. Do you really want to sit in your car to watch a DVD on a 7" screen?
Old 03-18-2002, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would have been nice to watch dvd's to pass the time on the 2 day trip out to Laguna Seca and two days back. that's the only reason I can think of. also, roritz in Austin, he has a dvd player in his car with a little screen. it was some big sale at fry's I think - for around 300 bucks total. so a helluva deal for a neat little feature.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:20 PM

I hear that in dash screens don't work for the S2000. So you guys wonder why he would get a screen for his car? It's the same reason why you guys want to put body kits, rims, spoilers, etc for your car. You want to show off and look good. A screen has the functionality of impressing those who look at the car. But back to the subject, the screen will probably not fit, and if it does, then you're going to break it soon because you'll keep hitting it while shifting.
Old 03-18-2002, 03:51 PM

The reason I want a DVD player is a combination of both Schatten and Project Dream's post. I spend a lot of time driving out of state during the warm seasons so a TV to watch Initial D and Option 2 on would be great. You can not really watch but between the surround sound and the LCD blazing you'll get the idea of what is happening. Also, I am an avid import show attendee. I both visit shows and display in them. The S2000 alone is always a crowd pleaser, but a healthy smattering of I.C.E. will set my car apart.

Also, If a moderator sees this thread please move it to S2000 talk. I started it in the wrong forum.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 07:21 PM

As a person who has spent thousands getting a DVD system in my truck, I can tell you that my recent opinion on these systems is that the sound quality and other features from the panasonic, pioneer, alpine, and others don't even measure up to a good strictly music system and cost a great deal more. You may find that a lot of trouble and money can be saved by just buying one of those portable DVD players (which are now much cheaper and sport up to 10 inch screens, I recommend the pioneer or the new samsung) or even using your laptop to watch movies. This way you get a fully portable DVD player you can use in your car, on a plane, on vacation, in your bedroom. Most radios today come with inputs that you could hook these devices up to. Surround sound just doesn't work that well in cars because the audience sits too close to each speaker to achieve a reasonable balance. As far as getting TV, they are going to shut down those frequencies in a few years anyways.

for the S, I am building a system that will be clean, loud, and have inputs so I can throw my portable DVD player on the dash for long trips. Down the road, if I feel like it, I might just seat the player flush up on the dash and have the screen just pop up, ES300 style.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:23 PM

BTW...to those out there that drive and watch, avoid foreign films, subtitles are a bitch.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the input. I figured that a one unit roll away would cut out a lot of $$ and thr heartache of fitting several pieces of ICE in the car. Another thought I had was to purchase the JDM navigation dash mount for the S2000. I fits in the dash board. The main problems with this system is that I need to cut up the dashboard and the system will be out in plain site. The latter has me very concerned.
Thanks for the info guys keep it comin'

And again, MODERATORS PLEASE MOVE MY THREAD TO S2000 CHAT! I need more feed back.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My installer suggested in putting the Widescreen where the Rear view mirror would be. Basically remove the rear view mirror and replace with a camera set up and/or DVD entertainment while parked.

Tan
Old 03-20-2002, 06:48 AM

Actually I have seen the mirror replaced with an LCD on an S2000. It looks great and seems rather functional. My only problem with that setup is that the screen will always be in plain site. This means I can no longer use the car for anything more then a day tripper. I use the car sparingly now. But with a 7" LCD hanging from the windshield I will never been able to feel comfortable parking the car at school or going on a road trip and parking it in the hotel garage. The only way I could see doing this is to design the bracket so the LCD can be disconnected and taken out of the car. I guess it is worth considering.
Thanks

If anyone else would like to leave a post please look for a new thread under S2000 talk. I'm going to start a thread there under the same heading.

Quick Reply: Alpine 7" DVD in-dash roll-away, will it fit in the S2000?