S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

wrapping aftercooler?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Yep

All I can speak to is the that the gold tape is the best performer.

I can't find the thread but Geoff from full race quoted It can handle temp drops of 800* at a 3mm airgap. Pretty crazy if you think about what that really means
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

What fluid do you have in your system? Coolant, distilled water? etc. I have mostly all distilled water with water wetter and a little bit of coolant. It definitely helped out quite a bit.
As someone else mentioned it helps to use a reservoir like the vortech kit comes with stock. Adds more fluid into the system making it take longer to heat it up.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My aftercooler is always cool to the touch. I won't be wrapping mine.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just switched out 50/50 for straight distilled water. I took a 20 min drive in 80+ degree heat driving at about 25-60 MPH and when I got to my location I popped the hood and my aftercooler was warm. So i thinking foil tape will slow it down from heat soaking. I haven't had it to the track since the pump upgrade or straight water. Just want to do everything I can to keep the heat away.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try using distilled water and Redline water wetter. If I recall correctly, my IAT dropped 15 degrees F in the same conditions as using Honda coolant.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM

just ordered some DEI reflect a gold. Its worth a try. Cant really hurt. Going to wrap the aftercooler up to the Throttle body and do my water lines off the aftercooler that are in the engine bay. If i have any left over i may try it on my air box also.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't have to wrap. Problem is the blower producing the hot air. The wrap or tape will only keep out some engine heat soak. In 100+ ambient temps i hit my aftercooler with a laser thermometer and im at 78 degrees to 80 degrees where as the blower itself is at near 160 to 185.

A larger heat exchanger and a bosh pump are your friend.

Im running a frozenboost heat exchanger
bosh water pump
distilled water and 2 caps of water wetter.

Also make sure your hoses dont have any kinks as that will kill your efficiency.

good luck
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Man it sounds to me like you're having a flow problem... Are you certain that your pump is operating properly and like ^ said you don't have any kinks in the lines? Only time I have felt my aftercooler be warm after a drive was when I realized my water pump relay blew and my pump wasn't even on. Or if I sit and let it idle for a while. But if you drive your car for just a bit then come to a stop and pop the hood the aftercooler should be cool to the touch, at least in that 80 degree range. Especially with the larger heat exchanger and the Bosch pump.

If you take the fill cap off the aftercooler and start the pump, you should have fluid splashing all over the place, lol. I had mine off and started the pump just to make sure it was working after I installed the Bosch pump, and water went everywhere. That Bosch pump is no joke, it pumps the hell out of some water, lol.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Maybe I just want it to be really cold lol. Its not so hot u cant touch it by any means. Just warm. Just installed the new Bosch pump redid the lines and have a large front mount. So everything is good there. Maybe I was just expecting it to be alot colder. But its not hot just not super cold. So the heat tape can't hurt.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Man it sounds to me like you're having a flow problem... Are you certain that your pump is operating properly and like ^ said you don't have any kinks in the lines? Only time I have felt my aftercooler be warm after a drive was when I realized my water pump relay blew and my pump wasn't even on. Or if I sit and let it idle for a while. But if you drive your car for just a bit then come to a stop and pop the hood the aftercooler should be cool to the touch, at least in that 80 degree range. Especially with the larger heat exchanger and the Bosch pump.

If you take the fill cap off the aftercooler and start the pump, you should have fluid splashing all over the place, lol. I had mine off and started the pump just to make sure it was working after I installed the Bosch pump, and water went everywhere. That Bosch pump is no joke, it pumps the hell out of some water, lol.

I did the same thing spilled water all over the engine bay lol. That pump is BAWS. i love it!

Quick Reply: wrapping aftercooler?