S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

What Turbo

Old 12-23-2007, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Turbo

I was curious what turbo to choose that is included with the base inline pro kit. My HP goals are sub 400rwhp at the moment and will not be replacing the HG with the initial install of the kit. I am not going to upgrade to the ball bearing turbo option. Just wondering if anyone has installed a kit like this? I know there are a lot of people that have slapped the GT35R on but that is not what I am currently looking for. I really dont want to notch the frame either.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM

GT3076R
Old 12-23-2007, 03:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll have to notch the frame for the standard GT30R / GT35R. There is a special combo for the GT30R that allows you to not have to cut the frame (I think a small compressor cover), a couple guys are running it on these forums.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Those are ball bearing options... "R" models.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

35R is a total waste for you its what I have..... by the way my frame isn't notched even so unless your wanting over 500hp 35R is a waste. I'd rather have a GT30

even a 30 is more then you need

GT28 FTW

last the ball bearing does just about nothing.... its honestly a waste of money. Having seen both run on a flow testing bench (not sure the tech names) I saw the facts....ball bearing is a waste of time... the main thing they do is make the BOV sound louder lol. Remember this is coming from an owner of a GT35R. I'd love to boast about how well spent my money is. Honest truth is.... its a waste.

I ran 2 GT28's on my 300ZX twin turbo....loved the turbo's made 600whp on a mustang dyno... they're great.

get a GT28 for the win. Smaller is better unless you take advantage of the power its capable of. Say hellow to NO LAG. INSTANT SPOOL at 2500rpm

THIS IS OVER PRICED MIND YOU
http://www.optionimports.com/garrettgt28rs.html
Product Description:

Garrett GT28RS - Dual Ball Bearing Garrett GT28RS turbo assembly with T25 style turbine inlet. Comes with internal wastegate pre-assembled. This turbo is great for small displacement engines up to 2.2L and has the ultimate spool up time compared to other units. This turbo has a flow capacity of about 350HP. This turbo would be comparable to the HKS GT2530.

Turbine -Wheel: 53.85mm w/ 76 trim -Housing: .86 ar

Compressor -Wheel: 60mm w/ 62 trim -Housing: .60 ar

later if you want to upgrade....SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER!!! don't run a GIANT ASS TURBO FOR NO REASON.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Are you just making shit up?

The ball bearing makes the BOV sound louder?

WTF are you on?
Old 12-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Dec 23 2007, 08:04 PM
35R is a total waste for you its what I have..... by the way my frame isn't notched even so unless your wanting over 500hp 35R is a waste. I'd rather have a GT30

even a 30 is more then you need

GT28 FTW

last the ball bearing does just about nothing.... its honestly a waste of money. Having seen both run on a flow testing bench (not sure the tech names) I saw the facts....ball bearing is a waste of time... the main thing they do is make the BOV sound louder lol. Remember this is coming from an owner of a GT35R. I'd love to boast about how well spent my money is. Honest truth is.... its a waste.

I ran 2 GT28's on my 300ZX twin turbo....loved the turbo's made 600whp on a mustang dyno... they're great.

get a GT28 for the win. Smaller is better unless you take advantage of the power its capable of. Say hellow to NO LAG. INSTANT SPOOL at 2500rpm

THIS IS OVER PRICED MIND YOU
http://www.optionimports.com/garrettgt28rs.html
Product Description:

Garrett GT28RS - Dual Ball Bearing Garrett GT28RS turbo assembly with T25 style turbine inlet. Comes with internal wastegate pre-assembled. This turbo is great for small displacement engines up to 2.2L and has the ultimate spool up time compared to other units. This turbo has a flow capacity of about 350HP. This turbo would be comparable to the HKS GT2530.

Turbine -Wheel: 53.85mm w/ 76 trim -Housing: .86 ar

Compressor -Wheel: 60mm w/ 62 trim -Housing: .60 ar

later if you want to upgrade....SELL IT AND BUY ANOTHER!!! don't run a GIANT ASS TURBO FOR NO REASON.
Your mechanical knowledge FTL.

The 35R is not a total waste of money for 400 rwhp. It won't provide the sick mid-range response and torque mountain that a GT30 sized turbo will, but it also won't require the same boost level to reach 400 rwhp as a GT30. Larger turbos require more time to spool up, but less boost pressure to move the same amount of air. Good for guys that aren't adjusting the compression ratio in one way or another.

A GT28 will struggle to reach 400 rwhp and even if you managed it, the boost pressure required would be quite high, much higher than what would be possible with stock compression and pump gas. GT28 FTL.

Ball bearings do nothing? Again, what school did you graduate from? Ball bearing turbos last longer, run cooler, run more efficiently, spool quicker and are much less prone to coking. Not sure why the bearing system would have anything to do with BOV sound.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 PM

I can't take credit for the BOV thing BEFORE i witnessed it myself....
I laughed until I a older gentleman next to me let me know that I was an idiot, and then preceded to explain why, showing me the long line of photographs and drag wins that the guy I had laughed at had achieved.

Now mind you it's not my kinda racing he's into. But the fact that he is the man who has made record power out of a Volks Wagon motor puts him at least on the list as someone who is knowledgeable first hand. Later I looked into it a bit further and found I was pretty much dead wrong. Just like he said precision turbo has found a good way to make money by pushing product.

The reason that the BOV was louder as it was explained to me is because the freewheeling affect is higher with a BB as would be expected. He showed actual track times with nothing except a swap from journal bearings to BB and back....there was no actual difference on the dyno nor on the drag strip.

i'll give props to my 35R for the efficiency yes. However reviewing a bunch of bench tests I found what he said to be mostly true. I'm of course all for water cooled turbo's thus making the coking issue ...well not an issue for the most part.

As far as the GT28 goes. It's usually good for about 350hp. However it can be setup of course to hit 400, however as you said it'd be out of its efficiency range true. I posted the HP it's claimed from precision turbo. However If this guy is wanting a sub 400hp motor it could be an EXCELLENT choice. There's no way that BB would make up for the difference that selecting a smaller turbo would make. I'm a firm believer in using the smallest turbo you can to hit the numbers you want. I honestly would prefer to be running a GT30 right now over my 35, I'm not needing the extra flow capacity and thus...i'm just loosing some midrange drive ability.

perhaps you'd want to rephrase this (speaking about the GT35R)
"""""but it also won't require the same boost level to reach 400 rwhp as a GT30""""
You'd weight that heavier then the low/mid gain he'd get having a gt28/30????
Who cares about how much boost he'll have to add to hit the number, boost is free up to 10psi which would hit his numbers anyways. I don't see the point man.

There is a way that this could be true.. assuming you just used the wrong words. I'm not usually one to jump down people's throats ...in fact I'd say this is perhaps the 1st time ever.... but If you want to be slapped with facts... they're on the web man. Also the GT28 has an R it comes BB if he wants to go that route. In general sure the larger the turbo the more efficient for one reason theres less blow by. However, I still believe he should choose a GT28 or GT30 (R or not on either). the GT30R is good for 500hp....he said he wants sub 400hp.... Why would you then prescribe a 35R? The effiency won't be worth the midrange gain he'd make. Being that he wants sub400hp it's probably safe to assume that he wants a streetable machine, the smart choice is a GT28/30 FTW. More is overkill and his low/mid will take the loss along with his wallet.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM

GT28RS = 72% efficiency (unless someone's seen it do better thats the best ive seen.

GT30R= 72%

GT35R= 79%

of course all this depends on what you strap it to.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Not one bit of your post makes logical sense.

[QUOTE=05TurboS2k]The reason that the BOV was louder as it was explained to me is because the freewheeling affect is higher with a BB as would be expected.

Quick Reply: What Turbo