S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

What happens to VTEC when you SC or Turbo?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alot of the bigger horsepower b-series turbo cars run a vtec killer setup with a rocker locker. Ive heard that the vtec engagement will show a a spike i power on dynos! i guess they delete vtec so the power curve stays smoother!
Not sure if the f20-f22 would work the same since these motors have so much more technology put into them
Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Jan 15 2010, 08:09 AM
With sc how much louder does it get? Hoping my hks won't get super loud now.
It will be noticeably louder then N/A all else the same. Your pushing much more velocity/force through your exhaust and it cries in pain the more you boost .

Turbo on the other hand has a significant quieting effect.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by *JG*,Jan 15 2010, 09:09 AM
alot of the bigger horsepower b-series turbo cars run a vtec killer setup with a rocker locker. Ive heard that the vtec engagement will show a a spike i power on dynos! i guess they delete vtec so the power curve stays smoother!
Not sure if the f20-f22 would work the same since these motors have so much more technology put into them
Lowering the vtec switch over point does very much the same thing, but still gives you a primary cam to idle and run around on. vtec eliminator cams are for racing since you don’t worry about idle and low rpm running efficiency. Driving around town on vtec eliminator cams isn’t reasonable. Its like driving around an old cammed out v8, they didn’t have the tech at the time to run variable valve timing, so they picked one cam that performed the best at the top end and the rest of the running suffers big time, sputtering and missing at idle, crap partial throttle, car only runs smooth when you get on it. Very similar deal with vtec eliminator cams.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it possible to tune a turbo to disengage at the same time vtec kicks in?

(yes i'm a total newb to this stuff)

My thinking is I don't really want the car to be any faster while in vtec, just below. Make any sense?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Hmmm strange idea there lol.

If your going to go through the very high cost for a nice turbo setup you might as well make it faster or get a Greddy kit as it has lots of low end torque but dies off some towards redline. Otherwise just get some gears and call it a day.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpman2k,Feb 3 2010, 01:30 AM
Is it possible to tune a turbo to disengage at the same time vtec kicks in?

(yes i'm a total newb to this stuff)

My thinking is I don't really want the car to be any faster while in vtec, just below. Make any sense?
This would be retarded.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Sorry maybe a stupid question what i dont get is...say your running a piggyback etc and get vtec to engage at say 4500rpm is that where the boost comes in at more or starts to come in at?

Cheers
Old 02-03-2010, 06:41 AM
DJT

As far as I understand it, it all depends on the size and pressure of the turbo. IE., a twin turbo setup often has a small one to give boost at low rpm (the small turbo spins up to speed more quickly) and then a larger turbo to give boost at higher rpm (takes longer to spool + pumps more at higher rpm).

I'm not sure you have so many options for the S2K. But after thinking and reading more about it, a modest turbo setup would also make sense w/ vtec. The reason you switch to the different cam at high rpm is because you're pumping (and needing) more air/fuel.

Now, whether or not the vtec is optimized for a turbo is another thing. But I suspect issues like that can be tuned pretty well with ECM and exhaust tweaking.

If you'd like me to give you some in depth research, please feel free to donate to the "Help Dave Buy a Mase Turbo For His S2K Fund" and I promise, I will generate more numbers and data than you can ever want. ;-)

D
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 AM

Haha, yes it's unconventional, for sure. The thing is I don't like the sudden jump in acceleration at vtec engagement, or the lack of low end power. BUT I feel the car is just right post-vtec. Therefore a system that would improve low-rpm power right up to vtec would be perfect (for me).
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpman2k,Feb 3 2010, 08:12 AM
Haha, yes it's unconventional, for sure. The thing is I don't like the sudden jump in acceleration at vtec engagement, or the lack of low end power. BUT I feel the car is just right post-vtec. Therefore a system that would improve low-rpm power right up to vtec would be perfect (for me).
Gears.

Quick Reply: What happens to VTEC when you SC or Turbo?