S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Want a new clutch

Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a new clutch

I ma not having any problems with my stock clutch but i know it is going to wear down alot faster now with the Vortech Blower on it. I want to upgrade the flywheel so i figure i might as well do the clutch as well. I have no idea what the difference is between the clutches out there. I dont want any clutch that is going to have a harsh engagement. What kind of kits do i need to look into?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:32 PM

Should have replaced it before the Vortech because I think you have to remove the thing before you can install a new clutch.

Anyway, I have been running the Competition Clutch clutches in my car since going turbo and they have not let me down.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for competition clutch. I am running the stage 3.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

You can remove the trans without removing the SC on a Vortech car. The Sc will be resting on the cross brace, but it can be done. The Aftercooler needs to be removed though.

There have been many satisfied customers of hardtopguy's ACT clutch package.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM

I have the vortech with ACT clutch and pressure plate with OEM bearing and not a problem yet, with about 7K miles on the supercharger. Very happy, just a strong one so will build up ur calf or left leg muscle, lol.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

ACT or competition clutches all have many supporters here.

Personally I went with stage 3 competition 6 puck clutch due to the turbo but I've heard good things about either route.

Its most likly, win win either way.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

What other clutch options are out there? I'm going to start looking for a clutch soon too and was going to go with ACT, but there are some reviews that disturb me. I recently talked to a mechanic at a local shop that does a lot of performance parts for hondas and he was taking out an ACT clutch from an integra because it was slipping and almost brand new. He said he'd seen this many many times with ACT and recommended Exedy. And because of this review, i looked up ACT clutches in the under the hood forum and found some poor reviews of the ACT clutches too. However, I even have an ACT clutch kit in my current integra and have no problems...

Anybody know of any other brands or have any experiences with other setups? I may risk it with an ACT clutch anyway since they are fairly reasonable in price, but i would just hate to have clutch problems, removing the tranny more than once would make me cranky!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Former Moderator

The problem with clutch reviews is inconsistency of the drivers. I can kill a perfectly functional clutch without moving the car 2 feet. The same clutch can last well over 100K of normal, driving.

The ACT's are pretty well respected, and as quiet as the stock clutch.

Several of the Competition clutches are exceptionally noisy. Buzzing louder than the original 00-01 stock clutch.

I've driven a 500+whp S2k with a Clutchmasters FX300. Light pedal pressure(almost stock)and quiet. It's also quite a bit more $$$ than a ACT.

If you want a clutch that doesn't engage like a lightswitch, don't get a puck style clutch.

Sprung center hub friction discs reduce shock transmitted to the drivetrain and are much quieter than solid hub discs.

Just because the clutch is made for a race car doesn't mean it should be used in a car driven on the street.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

well just from a few of the reviews in UTH, there were people complaining that the ACT clutches didn't disengage, and these were on clutches that were just installed. Some couldn't figure out the problem, and even installed the oem again and the problem went away. Just wondering if anyone else has had any bad experiences with the ACT setup. again, the ACT kit on my integra is doing great, wondering if i should go with it again for the S.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Former Moderator

If you put the friction disc in backwards it won't disengage

Quick Reply: Want a new clutch