S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Walbro 255 fuel pump issues

Old 04-18-2013, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-F8
I'm telling you guys, I had the same issue. Went through 3 different pumps (Walbro, FB, Aeromotive), 3 different dyno sessions....what resolved my problem was a new OEM pump hanger and new OEM sock filter.

Hope you get it figured out, these issues are a PITA

Scott-
What do you think the new hanger solved? Possibly a bad connection since there's 3 of them (at the pump, inside the hanger, outside the hanger).

I also don't see what a new sock would do. Unless your old one was dragged through a pile of sand.

Thoughts?

I'd rather find root cause instead of just throwing parts at it. But if there was a specific reason for the new hanger please share.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by C63AMG
Originally Posted by S2K-F8' timestamp='1366270707' post='22481926
I'm telling you guys, I had the same issue. Went through 3 different pumps (Walbro, FB, Aeromotive), 3 different dyno sessions....what resolved my problem was a new OEM pump hanger and new OEM sock filter.

Hope you get it figured out, these issues are a PITA

Scott-
What do you think the new hanger solved? Possibly a bad connection since there's 3 of them (at the pump, inside the hanger, outside the hanger).

I also don't see what a new sock would do. Unless your old one was dragged through a pile of sand.

Thoughts?

I'd rather find root cause instead of just throwing parts at it. But if there was a specific reason for the new hanger please share.
IIRC there is an internal (non replaceable) screen filter inside the pump hanger. The sock filter I did because it's cheap and eliminates one more variable. Honestly I was grabbing at straws trying to figure out what was causing my fuel pressure drop. Here's what I went through (91pump gas, ID1000's, K-Pro, 12psi):

1st setup:
FB340 pump - stock wiring - OEM fuel rail - OEM fpr
car started going lean after 7000-7500rpm

2nd setup:
Aeromotive 340 pump - hardwired w/relay off battery - AEM fuel rail - AEM fpr - fuel pressure gauge
no difference except we could watch fuel pressure drop on the gauge once it hit 7000-7500rpm

3rd setup:
Walbro 255 pump - hardwired - new OEM pump hanger - new OEM sock filter - new fuel hose between pump and hanger - new fuel line specific clamps on hose - AEM fuel rail - AEM fpr - fuel pressure gauge
fuel pressure finally rose and pulled all the way to redline

So can I narrow it down to just the pump hanger - no.....but changing out the pump hanger, new sock filter, new fuel line and hose clamps is still cheaper than another failed attempt on the dyno.

Scott-
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM

IIRC there is an internal (non replaceable) screen filter inside the pump hanger. The sock filter I did because it's cheap and eliminates one more variable. Honestly I was grabbing at straws trying to figure out what was causing my fuel pressure drop. Here's what I went through (91pump gas, ID1000's, K-Pro, 12psi):

1st setup:
FB340 pump - stock wiring - OEM fuel rail - OEM fpr
car started going lean after 7000-7500rpm

2nd setup:
Aeromotive 340 pump - hardwired w/relay off battery - AEM fuel rail - AEM fpr - fuel pressure gauge
no difference except we could watch fuel pressure drop on the gauge once it hit 7000-7500rpm

3rd setup:
Walbro 255 pump - hardwired - new OEM pump hanger - new OEM sock filter - new fuel hose between pump and hanger - new fuel line specific clamps on hose - AEM fuel rail - AEM fpr - fuel pressure gauge
fuel pressure finally rose and pulled all the way to redline

So can I narrow it down to just the pump hanger - no.....but changing out the pump hanger, new sock filter, new fuel line and hose clamps is still cheaper than another failed attempt on the dyno.

Scott-
Thanks for the info Scott. If there is an internal screen filter inside the hanger that would start to make some sense of the consistency of the pressure drop.

When you say hardwired, do you mean direct from the pump connector through the hanger plate bypassing the internal and external connector on the hanger? I'm asking for clarification because some still splice into the OE wiring as close to the external hanger connector as possible which "should" be fine since it cuts the length of the smaller gauge wire down to a few inches.

EDIT: Can you confirm the part numbers you ordered for the hanger and sock or point to them from the below link?

http://www.rchondaparts.com/parts-ca...fuel/fuel-tank

Hanger = 16010-S84-A01 FILTER SET, FUEL
Sock = 17516-S2A-930 FILTER SET, FUEL PUMP

Given the name of the Hanger part it may confirm the theory of an internal screen filter.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the info Scott. If there is an internal screen filter inside the hanger that would start to make some sense of the consistency of the pressure drop.

When you say hardwired, do you mean direct from the pump connector through the hanger plate bypassing the internal and external connector on the hanger? I'm asking for clarification because some still splice into the OE wiring as close to the external hanger connector as possible which "should" be fine since it cuts the length of the smaller gauge wire down to a few inches.

EDIT: Can you confirm the part numbers you ordered for the hanger and sock or point to them from the below link?

Given the name of the Hanger part it may confirm the theory of an internal screen filter.
Those part #'s look correct

I just went out to my car and looked....looks like I went 8gauge from the battery (which is in my trunk) to the relay. Then out of the relay looks like 12gauge to the pump hanger (short run, maybe 4-5". I depinned the stock wire, so the 12gauge wire goes into the connector.). Nothing done inside the hanger itself. (hope that makes sense)
Old 04-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by C63AMG' timestamp='1366310111' post='22483119

I just went out to my car and looked....looks like I went 8gauge from the battery (which is in my trunk) to the relay. Then out of the relay looks like 12gauge to the pump hanger (short run, maybe 4-5". I depinned the stock wire, so the 12gauge wire goes into the connector.). Nothing done inside the hanger itself. (hope that makes sense)
Yes it does thanks. That would mean you're still using the 3" of OE wiring inside the hanger housing (plug on pump, wire, plug inside hanger) and I'm assuming that's how you had it set up on the old hanger?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8' timestamp='1366311488' post='22483207
[quote name='C63AMG' timestamp='1366310111' post='22483119']

Yes it does thanks. That would mean you're still using the 3" of OE wiring inside the hanger housing (plug on pump, wire, plug inside hanger) and I'm assuming that's how you had it set up on the old hanger?
[/quote]

Yes, that sounds correct!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Cheers! I will try a new hanger and use the new sock from the AEM pump. But, just for added precaution I'll take it one step further and skip the internal connections inside the hanger and route the wires from the AEM pump connector through the hanger plate.

I'll have to wait a bit for some parts so I will update in a few weeks.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8' timestamp='1366312667' post='22483253

Cheers! I will try a new hanger and use the new sock from the AEM pump. But, just for added precaution I'll take it one step further and skip the internal connections inside the hanger and route the wires from the AEM pump connector through the hanger plate.

Sounds good....except I think most will recommend the OEM sock filter
Old 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by C63AMG' timestamp='1366313154' post='22483280
[quote name='S2K-F8' timestamp='1366312667' post='22483253']

[/quote]
Yeah I ordered one. Looking at the shape of the AEM it looks like it will interfere with the float.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8' timestamp='1366314193' post='22483334
[quote name='C63AMG' timestamp='1366313154' post='22483280']
[quote name='S2K-F8' timestamp='1366312667' post='22483253']

[/quote]
Yeah I ordered one. Looking at the shape of the AEM it looks like it will interfere with the float.
[/quote]
I hope this solves your issue as it did mine....keep me posted

Quick Reply: Walbro 255 fuel pump issues