S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech or Comptech

Old 09-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 5 2006, 11:49 PM
Taking the drivers and the street racing environment out of the equation, here's what I think ...................
4.3 gears give you a 5% bump in gearing. Let's say the Vortech runs 300 whp. If your Comptech were pushing 285 whp, I would say the 2 cars would be very close.
I more or less ascribe to the same theory. I think at some point the extra power is going to allow the Vortec car to pull away, but in anything short of a top end pull I think it's going to be close to an even match.

In any event, I dare say that drivers vary more than 5%.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 6 2006, 12:15 AM
I haven't for a single moment, regretted going the Vortech route. I bolted the thing on and it's been serving me well for many years. It's my daily driver and I've never had any significant issues with it. It's been many 10s of thousands of miles and I'm still on the original belt.
The turbos of the day would have been a total nightmare. Although we do see the turbo kits of today being far more superior to yesterday's products, it can't yet be said that they are reliable for many years and high miles of use without needing something during their lifespan. Having a "Turbo" S2000 may sound very exotic but after years of day to day driving, all you really want is reliability without worry. Perhaps in the years to come, this statement will have to be revised. If you want instant gratification with no regard to where your car will be at in a year or two, get a turbo. If you can be satisfied with what a stock S/C kit will give you and all you want is to bolt it on and go, get the supercharger.

You can always get the FMIC "look" by replacing the stock aftercooler radiator with one of these:

It doesn't perform any better than the stock unit, but it definately makes onlookers wonder.
I like having the little aftercooler radiator hidden away.

How much does that big old front mount radiator weigh when it's full of water?

What does it cost to replace when a stone flies up from the road and punches a hole?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 5 2006, 09:15 PM
You can always get the FMIC "look" by replacing the stock aftercooler radiator with one of these:

It doesn't perform any better than the stock unit, but it definately makes onlookers wonder.
Oh hey xviper looks like I'll have to get that for all of my onlookers as well
Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 PM

DAHHH! I sitll can't make my mind up.....
Old 09-06-2006, 04:32 AM

neither can I, both sound tempting!
Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Sep 5 2006, 11:28 PM
In any event, I dare say that drivers vary more than 5%.
And some dynos will, too.

How much does that big old front mount radiator weigh when it's full of water?

What does it cost to replace when a stone flies up from the road and punches a hole?
Obviously, it weighs more than the stock rad. However, don't let the size of it fool you. It actually holds about 1 pint of water LESS than the stock rad. I got it as an experiment, but I must tell you, I was (and still am) very disappointed in the fact that it doesn't function any better than the little stock one. I've got intake temps readings to prove it. Next spring, I may put the stock rad back, in series (and in conjunction) with the Spearco. I don't track, so weight is not a concern to me.
As for what it would cost to replace it if it got a rock through it, I wouldn't replace it. It would be garbaged and the stock one goes back on. It was a very expensive excercise just for the "look".
Old 09-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by backman_66,Sep 6 2006, 12:01 AM
Oh hey xviper looks like I'll have to get that for all of my onlookers as well
You WILL get the looks with that thing. All the import car nuts will think you've got a turbo under there. Of course, if they really knew their stuff, they'd know better since the supercharger whine is unmistakable. But then, some of those "kids" wouldn't know a supercharger from a leaf blower.
Read my previous reply to RED. I'm still not that impressed with it.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:00 AM

How are the vortec for black box issues? I've read on honda-tech that one guy is on his 4th box..... can't seem to get a good one from vortec.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by EK9MAX,Sep 6 2006, 10:00 AM
How are the vortec for black box issues? I've read on honda-tech that one guy is on his 4th box..... can't seem to get a good one from vortec.
Those were the first generation of kits. Mine was the very first Vortech kit in Canada and I've never had any issues with the black box. However, one has to take it with a big grain of salt when we see reports of bad black boxes. It is now common knowledge that the written instructions in the Vortech instruction manual is WRONG. Those must be disregarded and ONLY the wiring diagram be used. If anyone used only the written instructions, it can appear as those the black boxes were defective. The first gen of black boxes were indeed bad, but the later ones, in some cases, they may have been simply wired up incorrectly, potentially causing a self destruct.
This guy was from H-T you say? Well, OK.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=xviper,Sep 6 2006, 09:57 AM]And some dynos will, too.

Quick Reply: Vortech or Comptech