S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech belt came off

Old 03-16-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vortech belt came off

Figured I'd post, since the forum is pretty slow.

It seems I was driving the S normally (reving to 5-6k) and all of a sudden on a turn, I didn't hear the Tail Q making any noise. And WOW! the S is soooooooo quiet without it!

No boost, so I babied it home (5 minutes - very light on the gas pedal). Pulled into my driveway and checked under the hood. Sure enough the belt slipped off and was resting beyond the Vortech pulley towards the engine, so shredding, or tearing, just resting there nicely.

My belt is pretty new and only about a year old. I suppose the tensioner wasnt enough to hold it on and possibly the belt has stretched too far and came off. This has never happened, and now I wonder if I should cut the old belt off and try a new belt, or can I re-route it back on and try to adjust the arbor tensioner....

Can I get at putting the belt back on without removing alot of things? Anything else I should check? I found an old thread on tightening the belt, but the links are all dead that point to the Vortech install manual.

thanks all.

Here is a pic of my new OEM hardtop for your viewing pleasure.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be sure to check that your arbor bolt hasn't actually snapped. Happened to me (and I do know how to properly adjust the belt tension). I don't see how a belt could stretch enough to actually jump off the pulley.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Aye, seconded.

That is extremely weird for a belt to just jump off the pulley, something else has gone wrong, surely?
Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 AM

Crap. Ok, I'll get under her tonight and get a better look.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll reply back with results.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 PM

Well, I found the problem.

The vortech ribbed idler pulley just disintegrated from the bearing.

This 3" pulley seems to be solid mounted on the lower passenger side of the Vortech main plate.

Can this pulley be replaced without removing the blower,etc? The belt is prefect and it seems it could be threaded back around a new pulley.

More pics of the location:

And

Old 03-17-2016, 06:04 PM

Ha, well there's your problem. I've had this happen to me, well, when the car was at the tuner at least. The idler pulley seized up for some unknown reason and it shredded the belt to pieces. I had bits of melted/shredded plastic stuck to the underside of the bonnet.

Hopefully you can replace it without removing the bracket assembly
Old 03-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mate if I were you I would take the entire thing off and see if there was a reason why the idler pulley seized up.
Maybe the belt was overtightened and has done something to the pulleys or pulley mounts.
When I bought my kit there was a huge problem with the plate, because the previous person had overtightened the belt it stuffed the plate and idler pulleys up.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:40 AM

That pulley was likely the original part from vortech and was at least 5 years old.

I'm hoping this was the only problem. I'm going to attempt to replace in situ.

More later today.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:44 PM

Looks like the bearing broke down.

I found on a Mustang forum that the Vortech idler pulley (direct replacement) can be bought right from NAPA Auto parts.

Or this part number:TEM 209751
Old 03-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that was fast!

I'm trying desperately to find those two idler pulleys but in 8-rib. Can anyone help me??

Quick Reply: Vortech belt came off