S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Valves/Springs/Retainers

Old 09-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Valves/Springs/Retainers

Hey guys, I did some searching but I'll just stick to my reputation of whoring and asking what you guys think might be the best option?

my AP2 has 95,000 miles on it, and while I am away at the end of October, I am going to have my 3mm Head Gasket done, as well as a valve job done. Some discussion led to the thinking of potentially upgrading the valves, retainers, and springs. I have poked around online and the names I keep seeing are Skunk, Inline Pro, or Brian Crower, I also think I remember seeing that Laskey uses a company called "Supertech"?

Thoughts?

BTW, I am not even sure if it is worth it to do any of the above if I dont plan on port & polishing the head, also I will not be increasing redline so might be pointless
Old 09-07-2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supertech is good stuff. There are quite a few makes out there, some of which you have already named. I have always heard great things about the Supertech set up. Most of the higher HP boosted guys in my area use them.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only names you need are Supertech, Ferrea. Personally I really like the Ferrea valves but Supertech is a better value. When you are buying keep in mind that all the parts come from the +1mm RSX in most catalogs.

I used Inline Pro to get Ferrea Valves their spring combination and I resued the stock guides on my head.

I have also done another bought through Laskey using Supertech. This head got their Inconel Exhaust Valves, Nitride Coated Intake Valves, Springs and reatiners and last but not last valve guides. With the mileage on your engine the guides would not be a bad idea.

Oh, don't forget the seals

Old 09-07-2009, 09:49 PM

^^ good stuff
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 AM

[QUOTE=dsddcd,Sep 7 2009, 08:10 PM] The only names you need are Supertech, Ferrea.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of titanium valve springs. You'll need to adjust them every 20k miles or so.

I'm assuming those are titanium.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 AM

hmm, whats the major benefit of them? Strength and weight?

BTW. From what I have read the OEM valves could use an adjustment every 20k or so as well
Old 09-08-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Sep 8 2009, 06:29 AM
I'm not a fan of titanium valves. You'll need to adjust them every 20k miles or so.

I'm assuming those are titanium.

Theres no titanium valves here, these are FI heads...

Joey make sure if you go Supertech to get the Inconel on the Exhaust side. Due to the high EGT's of a boosted car this is a must. I got a pretty good deal for all my stuff from Mike at Laskey.
As Scott said, you can also get the Ferrea valves, as I think they have a special high heat alloy which would be similar.. He's running the Ferea and I'm running the Supertech.

That second head he posted is my head that he had done for me.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Sounds like a waste of money if your pinching already and not planning on increasing the redline. Ap2 retainers are what typically fail in over rev and these are better equipped on the Ap2 then Ap1 already. Your Ap2 can handle 9k revs all day long as far as the cylinder head is concerned, the bottom takes a little more consideration in stock form. Id still consider replacing some of the basic cylinder head parts with OEM if your worried about mileage.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Sep 8 2009, 10:07 AM

Theres no titanium valves here, these are FI heads...

Joey make sure if you go Supertech to get the Inconel on the Exhaust side. Due to the high EGT's of a boosted car this is a must. I got a pretty good deal for all my stuff from Mike at Laskey.
As Scott said, you can also get the Ferrea valves, as I think they have a special high heat alloy which would be similar.. He's running the Ferea and I'm running the Supertech.

That second head he posted is my head that he had done for me.
I meant valve springs

Quick Reply: Valves/Springs/Retainers