S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Upgraded Ignition System Replacement On a Budget

Old 06-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roi,Jun 29 2009, 12:47 AM
So if I understand this right, the AP2 guys should not be having any kind of problems at all
Is this true???
No, they still have failures.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ever happen to evan's unit?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM

Jeff Evans is in the process of putting a retail kit together. You guys just have to give him some time he's got his hands full at the moment with tuning,setting up Hondata kits,
looking for shop space, etc... See what some most of you don't know but I do is that Jeff is a perfectionist and his customer service is top notch. Trust me when I tell you because I have the ignition kit on my car and almost 600hp to the wheels on pump gas. Thanks to Jeff It will be worth the wait, see Evan's isn't just going to put the kit out on the market without doing some R&D on it. So that the final product is plug n play and trouble free because its his name and reputation on the line.

Also I'd like to mention and ps I'm not knocking the person who posted so please don't take it the wrong way. There is a major difference between what the original poster is mentioning in this thread and Evan's kit. I know for a fact that the materials alone are more then what the original poster has budgeted for. I mean you guys should see the wires,tubing,& relay Jeff Evan's uses its marine quality you could but this stuff under water if you wanted to and it would still work. Obviously the coils are top notch stuff too

So I say to you all just be patient because Jeff only does things one way The right way ! !. So you can be sure the final product will be perfect and remember good things come to those that wait.

-Mike
Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jacko,Jun 29 2009, 09:13 AM
Also I'd like to mention and ps I'm not knocking the person who posted so please don't take it the wrong way. There is a major difference between what the original poster is mentioning in this thread and Evan's kit. I know for a fact that the materials alone are more then what the original poster has budgeted for. I mean you guys should see the wires,tubing,& relay Jeff Evan's uses its marine quality you could but this stuff under water if you wanted to and it would still work. Obviously the coils are top notch stuff too
I know that Jeff does GREAT work but I also know how to do this myself, there is no mystery on the operation. I am sure he has developed a very clean install and has put the time and more imporantly resources into the development. That being said ignitions systems are not a big black box to me so the only hard part about building something like this is finding the parts.

I have all the parts but the wires now and they are anywhere from $50-75 for a set of (8) depending on what you are looking for.

As of now I will be assembling only (2) kits b/c I have had to buy everything in QTY's of (8). Both kits are accounted for but off the board I would be happy to help anyone else that is interested.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM

Just an FYI here is a perfect example of running out of ignition, and trust me there are a lot more.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry16538385
Old 06-29-2009, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=dsddcd,Jun 29 2009, 02:01 PM] I know that Jeff does GREAT work but I also know how to do this myself, there is no mystery on the operation.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jacko,Jun 29 2009, 01:58 PM
What I said was there is going to be a difference in the quality of the material and parts. I mentioned nothing of the install, labor, and or knowledge for the install. I'm pretty sure anyone on this site could buy a set of coils, plug them in and then secure them to the car. I also mentioned in my first sentence that I wasn't knocking you for the kit you made but merely stating there is a difference. I actually was replying to kutsujula's post.

Bottom line is there is a difference in the quality of material and parts used. With your setup vs the set up Jeff Evans has put together. As with almost anything else for instance v-bands or t-bolt clamps you can buy $25-30 clamps off e-bay but don't try and tell everyone there the same quality as 5 star clamps. Another words you get what you pay for.

-Mike
I know that you are defending him but the fact that you bought a set rather than making one it tells me where you stand.

You are missing the point, the quality of the parts is not relevant. The coils all come from GM unless you are buying a set from MSD / Accel set or a cheaper parts store replacement. As far as the wires are concerned you could buy any set you want from Taylor, MSD, Accel, Mallory......or you could even get an off the shelf set from the local auto parts store so you do get what you pay for. After that you need a set of pigtails which come straight from Delco and all that is left is the mount and that, as you stated, is very easy.

So know that it is clear the quality is the same in all parts. The next topic is which pieces you choose and how you install them.

Unfortunately this is not as simple as plug and play, do you know which coil is the best and more importantly why? Then can you find the correct pigtails for the coil you select and more importantly pin them correctly? Now can you find a set of wires that actually seals the holes in the valve cover and works with the coils?

Finally, do you have the ability to wire the coils to work with the factory wiring and can you properly tune the car so that it will run correctly with the new coils?

For all those that don't care to answer those questions and want a plug and play install than Jeff has the best thing going by a mile. For those that would like to do it themselves and get the SAME quality than this an alternative.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

So when is my ignition going to be done?
Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=dsddcd,Jun 29 2009, 06:50 PM] I know that you are defending him but the fact that you bought a set rather than making one it tells me where you stand.

You are missing the point, the quality of the parts is not relevant. The coils all come from GM unless you are buying a set from MSD / Accel set or a cheaper parts store replacement.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM

I have all information about the componets that are in his kit. We have a few small differences but there is a trade off between them.

Jeff has always been willing to help me in the past so I have no reason to give someone a streetmap to not buying his kits.

I am sorry you don't get what I am saying but at least we can both agree Jeff is a great tuner.

Thanks for you input

Quick Reply: Upgraded Ignition System Replacement On a Budget