S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Upgrade block/head to handle PSI

Old 10-13-2005, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade block/head to handle PSI

Hello everyone...
First off, I don't know how to search for this question, and I've read as much as I can find.
I plan on going FI in the near future, and would either like to handle lower boost safely, or a little higher boost (maybe 10psi worry free).

I know I am getting a 2mm head gasket to lower the compression, but I have some other questions. I apologize if they are noob!

1. Do oversized valves change displacement? I thought they did, but in my readings I have found some ambiguity. Please clarify.
2. Do Titanium retainers wear out quicker than OEM forged steel? I have found a concensus saying they do, but again, please clarify. Are they stronger while they last, but need replacing earlier because they are softer?
3. Does an upgraded head (valves, springs, retainers) make the engine any stronger in terms of PSI on a FI kit, or does this only benefit with a higher redline? I have read that the head needs upgrading for higher boost, but also that these parts are only needed if you plan to rev to 9500k+ rpm.
4. What head parts do you all recommend? Supertech? Alaniz? I find hardly any info about Supertech on the search.
5. You will all hate me for this question, but what are the weakest links in the AP1 F20c powertrain-drivetrain? What would be the first to go? Surely this depends on so many things, but lets generalize, shall we? First would probably be the differential and clutch disk, then? Then? Then?

Thank you so much. I really have read nearly every thread in the last 20 pages of this forum in the last week, and have searched with words "Alaniz" and "Supertech" and read all of those.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only answer the first question...bigger valves do not change displacement, just allows air/fuel to flow easier into the cylinders.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 PM

In regards to Question #3 & #4

-Stronger springs can help with higher RPMs.
-Dual springs are sometimes stronger and are made with thiner coils so one can use a more agressive cam without binding the springs.
-Headgaskets, floating deck blocks, rods and pistons should be your worries for FI strength.
-If you're going FI with your S, the only head work I can suggest is maybe some port & polish.

For #5

If you are going FI (10 psi worry free)- than the one part that will be abused the most and need replacement first =Your wallet
failed FI attempt
Official FI vent thread
wise words

I too will soon go the way of forced induction, so it's not all bad, I just thought I'd warn ya
Just read the crap out of the FI forum for help and take everything w/ a grain of salt.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:34 AM

Question 2. Titanium retainers will wear faster than forged but are stronger than forged.

Question 5. Differential housing, ring and pinion, lsd, clutch, axles, transmission, driveshaft components. About in that order give or take.

-Chris
Old 10-15-2005, 07:52 PM

wiseco pistons, crower rods, the headgasket you have and call it a day.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ r u building your engine right now?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 AM

yes i am
Old 10-16-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Displacement is simply the swept area of the piston. So it is only affected by bore and stroke.
2. I've heard that although I'm not entirely certain.
3. Only for increasing redline. There is no major increase in strain on the head from FI.
4. No opinion on this.
5. FIrst let me say that it depends how you drive and what other upgrades you have. I have a stock drivetrain except clutch. My clutch is an upgraded OEM. If you were to use a more aggressive clutch and do clutch dumps then you are putting more strain on the rest of the drive train. Diff, axles, gearbox.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by wannabuy,Oct 14 2005, 08:34 AM
Question 2. Titanium retainers will wear faster than forged but are stronger than forged.

Question 5. Differential housing, ring and pinion, lsd, clutch, axles, transmission, driveshaft components. About in that order give or take.

-Chris
Once again this myth raises it'e ugly head. Titanium retainers do not wear faster than forged steel ones. And yes, they are stronger than forged.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

oil bolt

I see you are a 2001. You should probably make this upgrade too while you are in there. It lets about 30% more lubrication through and most of us have done it.

fltsfshr

Quick Reply: Upgrade block/head to handle PSI