S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Update - Turbo Leaking

Old 02-18-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the old B series motor, tapping above the drain plug was fine, but not for this car.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM

So if I take it somewhere to get it re-tapped then the issue might resolve itself? Or have I already caused damage? The pan tapped came with the turbo and until now I never noticed this leaking/burning oil issue.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2knoob89
We need to have a sticky on top of the FI forum for how to setup the oil return.
a sticky on how to setup oil, coolant, and vacuum lines would awesome.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Also, can i try to adjust the angle first by purchasing a shorter hose or adding some type of attachment to make it vertical? My mechanic which has installed multiple turbo s2k's says he never has had an issue tapping it in the oil pan. I want to be sure that the placement where its currently located is causing this before i re-tap.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:05 PM

No, the tap will have to be redone. I took mine and had them block it off and tap in the new location. Make sure that the shop that welds the hole shut tests it for pinholes or you'll waste time taking it back off (ask me how i know). Once the seals are to the point that you're at, it's too late in most cases. Changing the angle of the line won't change anything. Mine is tapped and threaded to use with a straight to AN fitting with lots of hondabond rather than welding an aluminum AN bung. Either way will work.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Do you have a catch can or line connected to the intake tube? Do you have a restrictor jet in the oil line going to turbo? I have the same turbo with the recommended restrictor with no problems and no vacuum or catchcan connected to air filter intake. Looks like a turbo seal blowout or oil going to the compressor cover trough other means.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM

I have a catch can for the valve cover. Not sure about the restrictior. Is there a way I can check for this? I just installed what he gave me when I bought it used. About re-tapping, I'm gonna check tomorrow or worst case next week that plug and disconnect it without draining it to see if oil comes out. Is that a way I can test the tap?

Also, not sure if it's related, but would an increase in boost cause the oil pressure to go up? I recently raised it to 14psi.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM

No, oil pressure is going to be rpm dependent. The fact is that you are going to have to redo that drain line and take off the turbo to replace the seals or at least have them inspected. I use a restrictor but there are many on here that do not have one so the answer will be different.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

It might not be the turbo.

Have a read through this article when you get the chance:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...eshooting.aspx

One easy thing to do is to do an compression check. You might be getting a lot of blowby and a compression and leakdown should catch that. The oil drain is also an issue.

Also, that's not a Garrett GT30. It MIGHT be a T3/T4 hybrid ball bearing, but certainly not a Garrett GT30.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by rikhemi
I have a catch can for the valve cover. Not sure about the restrictior. Is there a way I can check for this? I just installed what he gave me when I bought it used. About re-tapping, I'm gonna check tomorrow or worst case next week that plug and disconnect it without draining it to see if oil comes out. Is that a way I can test the tap?

Also, not sure if it's related, but would an increase in boost cause the oil pressure to go up? I recently raised it to 14psi.
If one of the catchcan lines goes to the turbo intake please disconnect it. Check to see if the catchcan is full of oil. Test to see if condition persist.

You can get an oil restrictor here. Look at the pic and see if you have one connected to the inlet of turbo.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...rett+GT+Turbos

Quick Reply: Update - Turbo Leaking