S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

The Unofficial GT3076R Greddy Turbo Kit Upgrade

Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new CAN system on new models makes it difficult. For the CAN cars, the Hydra has to work together with the OEM ECU, not really as a piggyback, the OEM ECU controls all the car's electronics only.

Too bad that beadroller is only good for 18-gauge pipes... price is not so bad for $130. The good beadrollers are pricey.

Yeah, the HFS-6 is better, but I can get the HFS-5 for about $100 less than the -6 and since I'll let the Hydra control the injection via a 2D map.... the -5 is good enough

bent valves ? I don't wanna know !
You mean even with a GT30 running less than 14psi that can happen? hope not !
Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any turbos that are worth the money that are a direct fit with all of the piping? This is something I would be interested in finding out.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

I believe the only turbo that has the same piping - one that accepts the same style flanges to bolt up to the turbocharger compressor inlet and outlet would be the Greddy T618Z. Check out the pics here:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0901_tur...lap_battle.html

I think the GT30XX variations offer better performance, based on what I've seen those turbos make in other applications (EVO's, Subaru WRX's) and based on the compressor maps published by Garrett.

From what I've read and know about 18gs (I believe the T618Z is basically an 18G with a TD06 instead of TD05 housing) it looks like Garrett GTxxR series turbos of comparable size flow twice as much air. In Greddy-fashion, the T618Z is made for low-boost work, just like the S2000 kit's T518Z, past 12psi it's operating outside the compressor's efficiency range and it's only pushing hot air. The housings that Greddy uses are just too ancient of technology; the newer Garrett GT series turbos offer better transient response and better flow.

The upgrade to a GT30 on the Greddy kit is not really that difficult once you get to it. If you were able to install the kit by yourself, then you should have no problem doing the "upgrade"

It's just frustrating that most of the Japanese turbo manufacturers never publish compressor maps, dimensions, the essential stuff you know !
Just super simple descriptions
http://www.greddy.com/products/display/?Ca...&SubCategory=20

One thing to keep in mind is that the Greddy parts are at a disadvantage to start with. The log header, combined with the T25 flange and rather small diameter downpipe are fairly restrictive. They are good enough for the kit's T518Z turbo, so Greddy can't really be blamed. Greddy put together a very decent kit that fulfills its goal of about 100hp increase. So far those who have made the upgrade have been able to get an extra 50hp or so and improving the power band on the top-end.

Combine the power gains, CARB *cough - cough* approval, and ease of upgrade, it then makes sense -barely, to opt for this upgrade. If you are looking for very high power gains, 400whp and above, then you'd better consider other turbo kits. As always, you need to start with your power goals and select the kit that best suits that need.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Eveything does fit in there pretty well, and seems to mount up to the greddy kit pretty nice.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM

so doing this, will it eliminate the boost creep if its not ported out? saw that you said that the wg was similiar in size?

srry if this is a newbe question..
Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM

There's a possibility that you may get boost creep with the GT30, the WG port is about the same size as the T518z's. The GT30, however, flows more air thru the turbine so there's less back pressure and the WG doesn't have to relieve as much exhaust as in a smaller turbo. I'm going to port it just in case. The boost will be controlled by a electronic boost controller anyway.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Revenge, can you post a pic of your custom downpipe?

I'm thinking about fabbing up a better DP for my kit. I don't think the Greddy DP design is very good. The turbo is undivided, so having 2 small diameter pipes on the DP doesn't seem effective.

I'm thinking about fabbing a DP with a single larger diameter (maybe 70mm) pipe to help decrese backpressure. My boost drops off rapidly in the higher revs.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Yes, I had it removed it will be up for sale very soon, just want to make sure I got eveything together. I hope to have it this week and I can take some pics if you want to buy it or copy it.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Revenge,Jun 16 2009, 12:26 PM
Yes, I had it removed it will be up for sale very soon, just want to make sure I got eveything together. I hope to have it this week and I can take some pics if you want to buy it or copy it.
Hahah. Don't forget 1st dibs...
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TurboKev has some pics of the one he made but it should look just like this

Name:  P1030849.jpg
Views: 2078
Size:  133.5 KB

Quick Reply: The Unofficial GT3076R Greddy Turbo Kit Upgrade