S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo + Quiet ?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the QTP 3" cutout, I am not sure how effective it was, it was jagged and the 3" cutout, w/ the elctrical butterfly valve was like 2.5 inches. I have been running an Open downpipe, but the Cutout is nice to have if i want to bolt the exhuast back up for long drives. I like MisMyS's setup, the location looks perfect, my cut out was where the CAT would be.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by illestrolla
Any issues with the pressure actuated cut outs getting stuck?

I have had experience with both manual and electric cut outs and have never found one that performed up too par for me, they all would leak and become hard to open/close as the carbon builds up around the butterfly plate.
I have a 3.5 inch QTP electronic cutout and I need to re-tighten the little allen bolts that holds the motor to the butterfly valve about once a year, but have no issue with exhaust leakage.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nagata-San74
Hi guys,

I'm getting turbo' this year.

Setup is about
log
GT30R (3071)
3"DP

I'm running an HKS HiPower right now, seems too small for the turbo if I wanna reach 400hp...
What are your advices about the new catback if I wanna stay as quiet as possible ?

Thanks, and cheers !
As posted below. If you want to reach 400whp and keep it as quiet as possible I would look into a boost actuated cutout.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls
I have the QTP 3" cutout, I am not sure how effective it was, it was jagged and the 3" cutout, w/ the elctrical butterfly valve was like 2.5 inches. I have been running an Open downpipe, but the Cutout is nice to have if i want to bolt the exhuast back up for long drives. I like MisMyS's setup, the location looks perfect, my cut out was where the CAT would be.
I agree, my Y pipe was not the best engineered piece. I had to dremel out the Y pipe to increase volume, and got the larger 3.5 inch cutout after you posted your findings. My cutout is located in the same place as MismyS. Lets see if i can find pics
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Banned

The HKS HiPower is good for more than 400whp. The exhaust isn't the best place to get power if you're looking at a $/hp figure. bigger turbo, more boost, better manifold, better fuel system, bigger intercooler... All of those are areas that can be improved before tossing the HiPower in the trash.

That cutout setup looks nice!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I just don't see a point in restricting the exhaust more than neccessary. The exhaust back pressure can also have a lot to say on engine life. As the turbo I use has a 3" outlet and downpipe, that's what I continued with The amount it cost for the materials isn't really many bucks in the total amount of the kit and tuning. 400hp on stock is definately possible and no problem, but it's not optimal.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:02 PM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000442
Originally Posted by cmn' timestamp='1326745007' post='21322080
I'm close to finishing my turbo build on my S. I have FullRace Prostreet kit that came with 3" downpipe and midpipe. I had the dual HKS Hi-Power exhaust from before, and really like the look and sound of the HKS silencers. So I made a new complete exhaust in stainless steel, and used just the silencers from the HKS exhaust. 3" all the way from turbo to appr. the diff, and divided into 2x 2,5" to the silencers and out. Even though I have just driven the car out of the garage and back in, I can tell you it's not quiet. Really nice sound, but I will probably add a silencer just before the diff. Going to drive the car a few weeks to see first though.

A few pics:
Very nice work!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by camuman
turbo setup muffles sound to begin with. if its still too loud, vibrant ultra quiet resonators work really well. my setup is very quiet unless i get into boost then twin external wastegates = loud turbo sounds.
Thanks for the tip! I might give that a try if I find out I want my exhaust a little more quiet.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miguel329
^ i like that so does it open downpipe as soon as you punch it?
It is not instant, I had it set to open at 10PSI, so driving around normally it would not open, and it was progressive so you could back off the throttle if you did not want it to open. Basiccly the fast the transient responce the faster it would open. The actuator is the same type used on a turbo with internal wastegate so it is very reliable and very fast acting.

Originally Posted by illestrolla
Any issues with the pressure actuated cut outs getting stuck?

I have had experience with both manual and electric cut outs and have never found one that performed up too par for me, they all would leak and become hard to open/close as the carbon builds up around the butterfly plate.
Nope never had any issues. TurboKev had some rattling issues but the actuator rod was just loose when he got it. A quick adjustment to the rod and it was perfect. Sarek was the first to use one on hear that I know of and has been doing so for some time without incident as have many others. As for placement I chose that location for many reasons, the first being the proximity to the turbo and second the ability to come out of the DP w/ very little angle while aiming at the pavement. As you can see in the below if you hit the rev limiter it will send out a nice little flame that I would not want to direct to the under body.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4667MmWUWPI
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Nice parts here !

My question was more about, if I want 400 (about 360Whp), does my HKS dual create a restriction ?
Old 01-27-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any exhaust is a restriction, but it's not going to be a huge detriment (by that I mean you will be able to overcome and make the power you want)

Quick Reply: Turbo + Quiet ?