S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo done right

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo done right

So I'm dropping the ball and getting an S2000, and i'm planning on getting a turbo kit for it right away. I want this done right in a sense that the kit is safe and reliable for the car. Money isn't that big of an issue but all aside i'm not spending more than 10 grand on the kit.

My ideal car would have a kit that puts down 400-450 at the wheels, and as mentioned earlier isn't going to blow on me after a couple years. I'm not all that mechanically inclined so customizing my own kit is not an option, I have however heard good things about the Full Race turbo kit. Now i know that the kit alone will create the HP i'm looking for, but I want to make sure that it continues to do so for long after the install.

I am looking for opinions on items or modifications I would NEED to make sure the car is as reliable as it is powerful. I'm assuming I will need an EMS like Hondata or another brand (again please recommend) but beyond that i am unsure. Probably a clutch, (again the brand?) Anyways I'm looking for your insight.. None of this quick, cheap, horsepower... I want my car to last.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turbo'd s in general is not what i'd call reliable. Can it be,sure. Will it be, most likely not. If you don't like tinkering with the car a lot, I would suggest a supercharger kit. As far as engine reliability that has everything to do with the tune/tuner and your level of maintainence. Most people will tell you just go for it and it will be fine, but they don't drive a turbo car. It is awesome, but when you double or triple the power of a car, expect for things to go wrong. It is the nature of the beast. That being said, I LOVE my turbo S, and I wouldn't consider driving an NA S again. It would just be boring. Look at Ptuning, Pfab, fullrace, and Full Blown. All will make the power you want easily, and be prepared to spend all of that 10k, 500hp is not cheap. Good luck and Post this in the FI section. The gurus and the search function in there will have all the answers you seek. Happy boosting.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IL0VELAMP
My ideal car would have a kit that puts down 400-450 at the wheels,
when you more than double the power output of the car, your car is no longer as reliable as it once was, i dont care who installs the kit...

Originally Posted by IL0VELAMP
I'm not all that mechanically inclined
if you plan on owning a boosted car, i would plan on getting mechanically inclined
Old 03-28-2012, 05:07 PM

Understandably it's not going to be AS reliable as a non boosted application, but there's a TON of middle ground there. I'm not assuming it would last 20 years, but am looking for it to perform for a number of years. When I say i'm not that mechanically inclined, I mean I'm in no way capable of of installing or tuning it myself.

Now with that said, what other items outside the kit should a person get to retain MOST of the reliability these engines are known for. I've read that the around the 400hp mark one should consider lowering the compression via HG. What other modifications should I consider when pushing that kind of power?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM

I don't meant to be totally discouraging, but you don't have the car yet. I personally feel you are more suited for a mustang than an S with your desires. Much more torque, easier mods and naturally aspirated. I even think you'd have more reliability from a stang than a turbo S. That's totally debatable though.

If you're set on it though, look into a reinforced diff. a nice clutch set capable of holding that kind of power. Also, if you get an AP1 do AP2 intake valve retainers.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 PM

I've owned both. 3 Mustangs to be exact. I had a 5.0 that I put a K. Bell SC on(425 at the wheels and 402 TQ). TBH, the reason I went with the S instead of another Mustang is gas. I'm getting 23 MPG with my S and my Mustang got about 7.
Each car has their own talking points. Mustangs are a blast. So is the S. I usually get tired of a car after about a year. I've had my S for 2 now and I'm not the least bit bored with it. I do miss that power and TQ though. Mustangs are cheaper and easier to work on.
I would suggest to get the car and get a feel for it before you jump into dumping cash into it. You might get it and hate it. When I first got into my S I hated how squished I felt in it. I got used to it. Next time I drive a Mustang it'll probably feel like a Caddy on the inside now.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense to the OP or anything but I just don't understand people buying an s2k for straight line performance. Heck, that's why I sold my almost 400whp supercharged stang to buy an S. I don't miss it one bit! A road course is a million times more fun than a drag race for me. Now I wouldn't mind a detuned turbo setup like the greddy just to make a reliable 275-300 hp max to help with straights and such at the track. But even then I am not sure it would work well detuned to that point.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 AM

For those suggesting I get a different vehicle, like a mustang for the performance and such, i've owned powerful cars before with more torque than HP, actually ridiculous amounts to be honest. I absolutely hate the interior of chev/fords and most domestics besides caddy, but i'm not buying a car for specifically for one thing. I'd like one with a nice balance of all things, not just the performance. I also don't like the way most doms handle, very boxy and insensitive. My friend's 11 shelby GT500 is fast but handles just a expected. Granted if i could afford a GTR or RS4/RS6 or an M3 i'd be there but i'm not made of cash. I like the s2000's sportiness, modest interior , gas mileage(even after mods), handling, and ability to go boosted without internal engine mods. Oh and they're beautiful..

My last performance piece was a Kenne Bell SC ford lightning, had everything inside and out on the engine one could imagine, the SC was bigger than most car's engines (2.4L) made 647 HP at the wheels, but drove like a rolling brick and got me 6 mpg around town. Loved it, hated it.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo with the right tuner and if you keep up on maint. and upkeep stuff you'll be fine.

3 years on my Full Blown Kit and at 511whp. Hop into the FI section of this forum if you haven't already.

BTW OEM HG FTW!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:02 AM

What he said, Also im not done with my turbo setup yet and I am about to pass the 11k mark and I still have to do head work to break the 500whp. I won't push past 450whp without my head work being done I don't wanna drop a valve . I went with the inlinepro stage 2 kit.

Quick Reply: Turbo done right