S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo differences

Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo differences

What are the major differences between a twin scroll and a single scroll turbo? is it the number of waste gates used? i.e can a single scroll only use one waste gate or can it use two? Im new to the turbo world and I'd like to know because I plan to turbo my S in the future. If someone could please explain to me the differences I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM

youd probably have better luck posting in the FI section
Old 07-23-2012, 06:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PndaS2K
What are the major differences between a twin scroll and a single scroll turbo? is it the number of waste gates used? i.e can a single scroll only use one waste gate or can it use two? Im new to the turbo world and I'd like to know because I plan to turbo my S in the future. If someone could please explain to me the differences I would appreciate it. Thanks
Single will use a common manifold collector to push exhaust pulses through the turbo. A twin will have this split into 2 cylinders each. They will come to a common collector, but the manifold will have a split with two wastegates. Each pair of cylinders will have a wastegate. Your manifold type and design will determine the number of wastegates. In some cases, a single large turbo (not divided) will require twin wastegates to keep the boost under control (think path of least resistance). Read this.
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...n/viewall.html
Old 07-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by RacerXI
Originally Posted by PndaS2K' timestamp='1343033918' post='21881129
Single will use a common manifold collector to push exhaust pulses through the turbo. A twin will have this split into 2 cylinders each. They will come to a common collector, but the manifold will have a split with two wastegates. Each pair of cylinders will have a wastegate. Your manifold type and design will determine the number of wastegates. In some cases, a single large turbo (not divided) will require twin wastegates to keep the boost under control (think path of least resistance). Read this.
Thanks for the good info. The difference between the T3 and T4 flanges; Are the size, Correct? Or are there other things too?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacerXI' timestamp='1343054146' post='21881611
[quote name='PndaS2K' timestamp='1343033918' post='21881129']
Thanks for the good info. The difference between the T3 and T4 flanges; Are the size, Correct? Or are there other things too?
[/quote]

Correct, it is referring to the the size of the flange on the manifold that connects to the exhaust housing on the turbo.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Yup. The flange and the size are both different on T3 & T4 housings. Your T78 nomenclature turbos are typically T4's while your GT35's and such are T3 based turbos. The rabbit hole goes as deep as you'd like on turbos. I tell most people to pick a power level and build your kit around it with budget as your constraint. Even ugly rusty stuff works.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by RacerXI
Yup. The flange and the size are both different on T3 & T4 housings. Your T78 nomenclature turbos are typically T4's while your GT35's and such are T3 based turbos. The rabbit hole goes as deep as you'd like on turbos. I tell most people to pick a power level and build your kit around it with budget as your constraint. Even ugly rusty stuff works.
haha ugly rusty stuff who would use that!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM

Google is your friend
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

haha ugly rusty stuff who would use that!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM

It isn't pretty, but it'll work. What I'm saying is you don't need the newest tubular high name, big dollar manifold to make power.

Quick Reply: Turbo differences