S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

turbo blanket on CTSC

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo blanket on CTSC

I dont know much about the blankets so bare with me...

I know this may sound a little odd, but I was just curious if this would work. I never knew the benefits of having blankets until today when i decided to research on it. I know its used mainly on Turbos, but couldn't it work on superchargers as well? I hear that it keeps the turbo temps substantially low, and i know my supercharger heats up pretty bad even with a FMIC. The cold side is always icy cold, but sometimes during high temps, my car still suffers heat soak a little.

is everyones supercharger hot to touch? or is it just mine..
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM

damn.. wrong thread again. mods can you move this?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

No, a turbo blanket will not work on a supercharger. The turbo blanket covers the exhaust housing to help keep the exhaust heat contained within the turbo and helps prevent it from escaping into the engine compartment. A supercharger does not use exhaust gasses therefore there is no exhaust housing to put the turbo blanket on. The supercharger heats up from a mix of ambient engine bay temp, friction and the side effect of compressing air. There are not really any options that will help keep the compressor housing of the supercharger cool.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
No, a turbo blanket will not work on a supercharger. The turbo blanket covers the exhaust housing to help keep the exhaust heat contained within the turbo and helps prevent it from escaping into the engine compartment. A supercharger does not use exhaust gasses therefore there is no exhaust housing to put the turbo blanket on. The supercharger heats up from a mix of ambient engine bay temp, friction and the side effect of compressing air. There are not really any options that will help keep the compressor housing of the supercharger cool.

ahh isee. thanks for the clear answer!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Interesting question, but thinking about it, more then likely it would be more detrimental, not allowing the heat to escape the SC as efficiently. It very well may overheat quicker, either failing prematurely or causing higher IAT. Its going to produce heat regardless, generated from the inside out, and that heat passes out into the intake track, so the only defense against that hot air is a FMIC or after cooler.

Now one thing that I have considered is injecting the housing with water from an injection kit, but Ive never seen it done on a Centrifugal blower and don't want to be the first to experiment on blower failure. Doing this could potentially offer a great benefit though putting the fire out at the source before it ever gets to the normal cooling employment.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Interesting question, but thinking about it, more then likely it would be more detrimental, not allowing the heat to escape the SC as efficiently. It very well may overheat quicker, either failing prematurely or causing higher IAT. Its going to produce heat regardless, generated from the inside out, and that heat passes out into the intake track, so the only defense against that hot air is a FMIC or after cooler.

Now one thing that I have considered is injecting the housing with water from an injection kit, but Ive never seen it done on a Centrifugal blower and don't want to be the first to experiment on blower failure. Doing this could potentially offer a great benefit though putting the fire out at the source before it ever gets to the normal cooling employment.
icic. does the s/c blower get pretty toasty in general? because mines pretty damn hot. Sometimes i get heatsoak with FMIC
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM

have seen cooled compressor housing in large scale industrial operations... but for a car, I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost and weight assosciated with it...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by kerm1t
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1376452418' post='22723045

icic. does the s/c blower get pretty toasty in general? because mines pretty damn hot. Sometimes i get heatsoak with FMIC
Yes very hot, way too hot to touch.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Glasses2k
have seen cooled compressor housing in large scale industrial operations... but for a car, I don't think the benefits outweigh the cost and weight assosciated with it...
What do they cool them with?

A simple water/meth injection kit doesn't weigh anymore then the small pump and one gal of fluid in the tank. AEM makes a kit for $300. I wouldn't normally make any recommendations on running an AEM kit because they are too compromised to rely on, but for purely cooling the blower and running 100% water, it could be quite viable IF you can get away with injecting inside the blower housing without repercussions.