S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

trouble starting up on E85

Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting up on E85

I have a 06 turbocharged with return fuel system, ID 1000 Injectors, 340 fuel pump, and hondata flashpro. im using E85 for gas. my trouble is that im having trouble starting up the car on cold starts only. is this normal for running E85? can this be fixed with the flashpro?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:36 AM

It's your tune. Ask your tuner to fix it.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having the same issue now that the weather is cold. E85 is notorious for not starting well when cold outside. That is the reason gas stations switch to E70 when weather is colder. You can add more fuel at startup to compensate for this.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Yeah, not only on startup, but for a short period after the car likes to turn off at random. It has to be. Really heated up to run smoothly. Summer map/winter man ftw....or storage lol
Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM

same issue with me to- i have to crank it a while until it tunrs on cold starts. I heard its normal
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I messed around with e85 in my car when it was stock and i had a hell of a time getting it to start when it was below 60 deg out. went back to gas.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM

it's not normal. e85 requires more fuel for cold starts than gasoline. it can be fixed. it depends on the software. if you're using aem there should be a coolant temp vs. initial crank pulse table. add fuel in that table in the corresponding temps you're seeing when cold.

haltech has the pulse prime time table which is essentially the same thing. if you're using hondata k-pro, click parameters and go to the fuel trim tab. you should see the cranking base injector pulse table. again same thing. it's injector pulse vs. coolant temp. add fuel accordingly.

if you're using flashpro it's a little different. go to calibration then click fuel. click coolant temperature compensation. there should be a table called water temperature compensation cranking. that table is filled with negative values, meaning it's pulling fuel. add back some fuel.

it's all trial and error. my car takes an extra crank or 2 than stock even cold on e85. with k-pro/flashpro cars on e85 i have gotten them to crank like stock.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 PM

For my AEM series 1, here's my cold start settings. When I drove to Minnesota earlier this year, it started just fine in -4 degree winter weather. E85 needs more fuel to start in cold weather so the tune needs to be adjusted. Every car is different so it will need some tweaking with. I pretty much copied what I found on EvolutionM.net and messed a tad with it.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
it's not normal. e85 requires more fuel for cold starts than gasoline. it can be fixed. it depends on the software. if you're using aem there should be a coolant temp vs. initial crank pulse table. add fuel in that table in the corresponding temps you're seeing when cold.

haltech has the pulse prime time table which is essentially the same thing. if you're using hondata k-pro, click parameters and go to the fuel trim tab. you should see the cranking base injector pulse table. again same thing. it's injector pulse vs. coolant temp. add fuel accordingly.

if you're using flashpro it's a little different. go to calibration then click fuel. click coolant temperature compensation. there should be a table called water temperature compensation cranking. that table is filled with negative values, meaning it's pulling fuel. add back some fuel.

it's all trial and error. my car takes an extra crank or 2 than stock even cold on e85. with k-pro/flashpro cars on e85 i have gotten them to crank like stock.
so basically just add some more fuel during cranking on the flashpro??
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by neoleooo
so basically just add some more fuel during cranking on the flashpro??
add fuel to the water temperature compensation cranking table. highlight the entire table and add fuel.

Quick Reply: trouble starting up on E85