S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Trouble shooting help

Old 04-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shooting help

I know you can't tell me exactly what's wrong but looking for just an idea of possibilities to check out, and try to figure out how much the repair bill is gonna be . I'm a noob when it comes to this diagnosing the problems.. I'm learning alot from my friends because they are boosted junkies but I want you guys opinion too.
When I kick it it boost psi wise fine normal psi reading high n low settings but when it gets to about 8,000 (Which it redlines at 9,500) its like it lags an stops pulling but the boost psi still reads fine. Also it smokes when I crank it sometimes if thats helps any. I have retired it to the garage because of this and am dying to get it fixed since now it's drop top weather. It seems almost impossible to redline and I really don't wanna try an blow it to pieces. My buddies an I are about to run a compression test with it this weekend because they insist its a compression problem in one of the cylinders but I'm a noob and don't really have a guess with all of the components and possibilities. I put new plugs on it just to take a shot in the wind and maybe get lucky and fix it but it didn't do anything. Any suggestions would help appreciate any and all help.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by IloveBooosssttt,Apr 26 2010, 07:16 PM
I know you can't tell me exactly what's wrong but looking for just an idea of possibilities to check out, and try to figure out how much the repair bill is gonna be . I'm a noob when it comes to this diagnosing the problems.. I'm learning alot from my friends because they are boosted junkies but I want you guys opinion too.
When I kick it it boost psi wise fine normal psi reading high n low settings but when it gets to about 8,000 (Which it redlines at 9,500) its like it lags an stops pulling but the boost psi still reads fine. Also it smokes when I crank it sometimes if thats helps any. I have retired it to the garage because of this and am dying to get it fixed since now it's drop top weather. It seems almost impossible to redline and I really don't wanna try an blow it to pieces. My buddies an I are about to run a compression test with it this weekend because they insist its a compression problem in one of the cylinders but I'm a noob and don't really have a guess with all of the components and possibilities. I put new plugs on it just to take a shot in the wind and maybe get lucky and fix it but it didn't do anything. Any suggestions would help appreciate any and all help.
with the lack of compression. Any codes being thrown? What type of smoke? Any unusual noises coming from under the hood. These are the things we need to know.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Cloudy White smoke and no codes so far and not really any noises. could it be my injectors guming up or would that not throw smoke..?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by IloveBooosssttt,Apr 27 2010, 08:47 AM
Cloudy White smoke and no codes so far and not really any noises. could it be my injectors guming up or would that not throw smoke..?
White smoke usually indicates blown head gasket.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM

Is there any other cause of that would make it have white smoke
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if its like puffs of white smoke when WOT, I believe thats an indication of detonation...........
Old 04-27-2010, 05:05 PM

alright y jb34304 JoeyBalls for the input n for the help gonna check out that but if its a head gasket wouldnt oil leak out from it... Idk thats what i thought at least but like i said im a noob..
Old 04-27-2010, 07:34 PM

First things first stop driving it until it gets looked at. Don't try to redline it anymore... A $60 head gasket is cheaper than a $4000 rebuild. Learn from my mistake. I was having detonation problems like joey is saying. It ended up destroying my piston rings and scuffing up the sidewall. When you do the leakdown test open the radiator cap. If air bubbles come out you have a cracked HG.
Not sure if you know how to do a leakdown test but here's a link.

Leakdown test
Old 04-28-2010, 03:57 PM

ya thanks alot but i doing compression test but the re at adv sold me a kit that i cant even use because the socket is it takes to tighten it in is 11/16 and it wont fit into the block so ya wooohhhhooo bak to adv tommrrow to get one that will actullay work with a S... im going to see what the comp looks like...
Old 04-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water cooled turbo by chance ? It is probably the most rare thing on earth but housing could crack leaking into the backside . Might also cause your car to just lag to death . Seen it once on a supercharger.

I would still be looking at the headgasket

Quick Reply: Trouble shooting help