S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Transmission?

Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
you also have to worry about the shifter being in the right place, and ur gonna upgrade your tranny and not touch ur differential?
You must have missed it or misunderstood me... I said "I have the IP kit", as in I have the DSS 5.9 axles, driveshaft, R200 diff etc.

Originally Posted by redboost10
with a gforce, youll most likely have to do some work to the tunnel area where the shifter comes through the floor. like i said, i have no idea what spline the oem input shaft is. im running a custom made pressure plate and clutch discs to match my input shaft from gfoce. but yes you will need to make sure the splines match up and that the correct pilot bearing is used in the flywheel, and that the input shaft is long enough due to the thickness of the adapter plate. adapter plate will be a custom made piece. i know a lot of guys are putting powerglides/th400/th350 behind the s2k engine now so there are a few shops making adapter plates, we made mine. the problem with finding a used gfoce for a high revving 4 cyl is the gear ratios.

to be honest, the gforce trans isnt needed for most applications. the syncrho ppg gear set godmachine mentioned will be more than enough for a lot of setups on here and cheaper. ppg also has a straight cut gear set that can handle a bit more power for a bit more money.

if i had a oem chassis s2k, id be running the ppg gear set in a heartbeat.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, some friends suggested a powerglide, but I want to be able to track/autocross as well as drag the car, so powerglide doesn't really meet that criteria.

Yeah, I'd go for the PPG gears if they were more common and I could find them cheaper used. The only reason I was thinking gforce is because they are fairly common and used in other cars and therefore I can likely find a used one for cheaper. What do you think would be good gear ratios for the S2000 (assuming ~500whp, and for the motorsports I mentioned above)?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they have a gear ratio chart/table available on their website. it will be tough to find a used gforce with the gear ratios we need. also depends on the rear end gear you have.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

god the ppg set is so much money, I wont be doing this anytime soon but its prob the best option for a high hp street car
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM

yes for a high hp street car, slap in the ppg gears.

in my fwd civic, i had 1800 in a billet bellhousing and 4200 in a dog box gear set from liberty...still broke gears. part of the fun of making hp.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now the question is straight cut or helical cut for the street?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

just remember with straight cut gears there is nothing stopping you from making a 1-2-1 shift or a 2-3-2 shift unless you have an aftermarket shifter (which gforce makes) that pushes the shifter towards the next gate (towards neutral). hope that sounds clear enough.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 AM

yes for a high hp street car, slap in the ppg gears.

in my fwd civic, i had 1800 in a billet bellhousing and 4200 in a dog box gear set from liberty...still broke gears. part of the fun of making hp.
Why pay more for PPG gears when the g-force is a slightly cheaper and stronger option?

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
now the question is straight cut or helical cut for the street?
Definitely straight cut. If the money is going to be spent, might as well get the better/stronger gear style IMO.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:40 AM

because in the end, i think the ppg gears will be cheaper and definitely easier/less work and fabrication, but not indestructible due to using the stock case.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM

because in the end, i think the ppg gears will be cheaper and definitely easier/less work and fabrication, but not indestructible due to using the stock case.
I don't think so. Stantaur told me Lavins charged him ~$7k for everything for his g-force trans... that includes "entire bellhousing, disc, trans, shifter, driveshaft". Just the gears for PPG are $8k.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM

I have about 6.5k in all my stuff. The straight cut ppg gears are about 7k. Whatever works for you. Always cheaper if you can do the work yourself/ have friends with machinery.

Quick Reply: Transmission?