S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Transmission?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more and more sure that a gearset is the solution for a lot of people here, keeping the stock case makes the clutch, slave cylinder, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and so on easy. Also, any domestic transmission will need to be faceplated to shift at 9000rpm and thats not something I would prefer to drive on the street with the occasional drag.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neeman77
I'm more and more sure that a gearset is the solution for a lot of people here, keeping the stock case makes the clutch, slave cylinder, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and so on easy. Also, any domestic transmission will need to be faceplated to shift at 9000rpm and thats not something I would prefer to drive on the street with the occasional drag.
Yeah, I think that's what would be best for me. Now if only I could afford it...

Ok, so heres the deal. One of you guys buy a set, barely use it, and then sell it to me for dirt cheap. Sound good?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

give me money
Old 04-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
give me money
I'll give you money for a used set in good condition. Half retail sound good?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by siadam
Originally Posted by Spoolin' timestamp='1302137691' post='20438228
^^Skimming is a term used for, at the edge of breaking loose without actually doing so. Meaning you're just holding that power to the ground and you can feel the tires are right on the edge of breaking loose, but they dont. Have you not ever watched an NHRA drag racing event and seen the rubber tracks they lay down as they go down the track? Thats skimming.......

On my original trans, it lasted 2 years and about 4000 miles at 440 wtq, 3 years at over 300 wtq and 2 years at over 200 wtq before 3rd gear finally gave up. Thats 12k miles boosted and I wasnt easy on it at all. I am living proof that the trans does last about the length of time Jon stated to me.

Also, Jon from TRE calculated 80 hrs at 500 wtq, not 50.

Spoolin is just one lucky guy.

He has a stock motor over 700whp+
Stock trans @ that power level
Stock Diff
Even a Lovefab GT1 that is coated and hasn't cracked.

Man can do no wrong, his car is a superstar.
Actually, I have the IP r200 conversion and have since 2007 and I did find a small crack in my Lovefab GT1 manifold back last fall and fixed it. It was at the weld on the wastegate tube, super tiny and wasnt even leaking, but I pulled the manifold and fixed it anyway.

I didnt say the trans wont break eventually, I just gave my perspective as to what Jon from TRE told me and also my experience. If you follow his guidlines, I believe he is correct in stating that the stock trans can handle 500 wtq for around 80 hrs before breaking. Given you have a fairly low mileage, never boosted on trans and you put some good Redline MT90 or Neo RHD 75w90 in it.

Jon also stated that having a twin disc clutch will also help the trans live some.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by B5254T4
Originally Posted by TerminatioN' timestamp='1302064371' post='20434281
[quote name='B5254T4' timestamp='1302064059' post='20434269']
Too old in my opinion, a tranny from 1990 will cause problems if it´s not in perfect condition.
Just like my R200 from 1991?

Seriously though, they can always be rebuilt. I don't think age is the least concern when it comes to adapting one...
I´ve seen a lot of broken Nissan differential because of age and wear, don´t want to spend even more cash to rebuild it when it´s finally in place.
But just my personal opinion and the reason why I don´t like old parts in new cars. I´m looking for a solution as we speak, BMW got solid parts but hard to find our gearing.
[/quote]

z33 ok then? they are cheap and plentiful. I would put money down on a reasonably priced adapter plate TODAY. Or if I can get my hands on a bellhousing for now I would cut and weld them together.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Originally Posted by siadam' timestamp='1302183457' post='20439773
[quote name='Spoolin' timestamp='1302137691' post='20438228']
^^Skimming is a term used for, at the edge of breaking loose without actually doing so. Meaning you're just holding that power to the ground and you can feel the tires are right on the edge of breaking loose, but they dont. Have you not ever watched an NHRA drag racing event and seen the rubber tracks they lay down as they go down the track? Thats skimming.......

On my original trans, it lasted 2 years and about 4000 miles at 440 wtq, 3 years at over 300 wtq and 2 years at over 200 wtq before 3rd gear finally gave up. Thats 12k miles boosted and I wasnt easy on it at all. I am living proof that the trans does last about the length of time Jon stated to me.

Also, Jon from TRE calculated 80 hrs at 500 wtq, not 50.

Spoolin is just one lucky guy.

He has a stock motor over 700whp+
Stock trans @ that power level
Stock Diff
Even a Lovefab GT1 that is coated and hasn't cracked.

Man can do no wrong, his car is a superstar.
Actually, I have the IP r200 conversion and have since 2007 and I did find a small crack in my Lovefab GT1 manifold back last fall and fixed it. It was at the weld on the wastegate tube, super tiny and wasnt even leaking, but I pulled the manifold and fixed it anyway.

I didnt say the trans wont break eventually, I just gave my perspective as to what Jon from TRE told me and also my experience. If you follow his guidlines, I believe he is correct in stating that the stock trans can handle 500 wtq for around 80 hrs before breaking. Given you have a fairly low mileage, never boosted on trans and you put some good Redline MT90 or Neo RHD 75w90 in it.

Jon also stated that having a twin disc clutch will also help the trans live some.
[/quote]

I was just busting your balls man, lol.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Its all good......I knew you were messing with me.

I just wanted to make some things clear.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was looking at transmissions the other day, because i was interested in the z33 trans as we have about 3 of them lying around. at a glance it seems the bell housing is much too large to fit the tunnel. then i looked at an FD trans. it looked similar in width but its a 5 speed and i was told it doesnt hold a huge ammount of power. then there was the v160 supra 6 speed. those are known to hold what ever you throw at it. the size was very similar, but the cost is still very high. another option would be the trans from an e46 m3 i guess...
Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30
i was looking at transmissions the other day, because i was interested in the z33 trans as we have about 3 of them lying around. at a glance it seems the bell housing is much too large to fit the tunnel. then i looked at an FD trans. it looked similar in width but its a 5 speed and i was told it doesnt hold a huge ammount of power. then there was the v160 supra 6 speed. those are known to hold what ever you throw at it. the size was very similar, but the cost is still very high. another option would be the trans from an e46 m3 i guess...

send me a z33 trans! Ill cut and weld them together and test the shit out of it this summer. My corolla will be a bunch lighter than an s2k but Ill make more power than most.

Quick Reply: Transmission?