S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Thinking of spinning the vortech blower to 15 psi.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Thinking of spinning the vortech blower to 15 psi.

I am thinking of getting a 15 psi pulley for my vortech sc. From what I read that will be the fastest I can spin it without overspinning it.
I don't want to run that high boost on my stock engine so I would be getting a boost limiter valve from 928 motorsports. Can be set to bleed off over 12.5 psi which is the highest I would want to run.
Would the blower start blowing hotter air at those levels causing the midrange gains to not be worth it? Or not as much power up top at the same 12 psi?
I am wanting to do this so improve the mid range power while keeping the same boost/power at redline.
Figure if I run a 15 psi pulley I can hit 12 psi by like 7500 or so and hold it to redline, greatly improving my 6k+ powerband as well as a little more everywhere else as well.
Eventually I would like to rebuild the blower to be able to spin faster to run a 17-18 psi pulley and bleed it off after 12.5 as still.
Spoke with 928 motorsports about the limiter valve and they said it would work perfect for my setup and needs.

This is the part I am talking about. http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...mitervalve.php

Could have it attached by the bov on the aftercooler I would think. Or maybe even make an adapter flange to bolt up to where the stock bov does so I wouldn't have to drill and weld a new flange on. Would that work? Like a couple inch spacer that bolts to stock bov mounting spot and then has the flange on the side of that before the bov?
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect that about 30+ S2000 owners will be trying this in 2011... I'm just debating whether to buy one before or after my next tune. Definitely going this route.

Personally I would:
  • Install the boost limiter.
  • Install the 928 motorsports impeller.
  • Get it tuned, and see if you're satisfied.
  • Then later, think about spinning the blower harder and/or rebuilding it for higher rpm.
It's more expensive to do the impeller than to change pulleys, but it makes the blower more efficient instead of making it work harder. Just my suggestion... I was originally going to swap in a 3.2" pulley on my Novi 1200 and add the boost limiter, until I thought it through some more. Now I'm probably going to do the impeller and boost limiter together, first, and see if I like it.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Well if I do just the impeller I don't think I would need the boost limiter valve as that doesn't increase the boost by much really. Maybe 1-1.5 psi or so I would think.

With the limiter valve could up to 3 or so psi and bleed off over 12 to pick up some really nice midrange! Only about $100 for a pulley and $200 for the limiter valve too so not much money at all to possibly gain like 20-40 hp from 6-8k or so.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

$200 for the valve? Not bad. Its worth trying.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Yeah definitely will be trying this this summer. My blower is leaking a little bit of oil so thinking of rebuilding it. Anyone know where a rebuild kit is sold that can allow the blower to spin faster? If so would spinning it to say 17-18 psi be beneficial? or would it just be blowing hot air at that point and not really gain much if any power above a certain speed?
If I could run a 17 psi pulley and bleed off after 12.5 I think that would yield some REALLY nice midrange gains! Give closer to a turbo powerband I would think.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:26 AM

928 motorsports offers SC rebuild services, and also parts to allow you to spin it faster. I'm not 100% sure whether they have everything you'd need, or whether the rebuild services would include that kind of upgrade... But they do seem to be a good starting point.

I'd suggest putting your wallet in another room before you call them, because this stuff seems very tempting...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Former Sponsor

lol yeah. I spoke with them yesterday. Person on the phone didn't seem all that friendly or helpful, more a little annoyed I was asking questions about the limiter valve but idk. Only place to get it from as far as I know so will be getting it from them.
I see they do rebuilds and sell a high speed seal kit but not sure if they have the higher speed bearings I would need for it or not.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

What size pulley are you going to run?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Not sure yet. I am currently running a 4" and getting just over 12 psi. Was thinking a 3.6-3.7" would be the limit for the blower without a rebuild right?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:19 AM

my 1200 blower is at 928 right now getting the impleller installed and shimmed. I will post pictures when I get it back.

Quick Reply: Thinking of spinning the vortech blower to 15 psi.