S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Thick White Smoke Directly From Turbo Inlet Flange. No Visible Leaks

Old 02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Video of the smoking:
https://youtu.be/TDaobkOVnA4

Yeah, that is odd.

I don't know how your car normally sounds or have familiarity with your setup, it does sound odd to me when it winds down at the end. I also can not see inbetween the two sides of the of the turbo to see if it is coming out the exhaust side or the compressed air side.

Look at this diagram:

From the limited perspective of the video it looks like in the diagram you have the pressurized oil in between the exhaust/turbine side and the intake air/compressor side. If it is coming out of the exhaust half of the turbo, it could a few things, none good.

If it is coming out of the intake air/compressor side you essentially have clean air coming in and only the possibility of it mixing with leaking oil from the feed.

If I had to guess, it looks like the turbo might be cracked on the compressor side allowing oil to leak in, burn and get blown back out. But I can't see much. Can you tell if in comes from the turbine as opposed to the compressor? If it is not coming out of the exhaust pipes as well as under the hood leads me to believe it is the compressor side of the turbo. Does this happen ONLY after the turbo gets warm enough to burn off some oil and not right after a cold start?

I kind of don't think it is old oil under the blanket because it does not just sort of trickle out, it looks like it is forcefully blown out when you rev.

I see you mention it is a Precision turbo. Not familiar with them. Show you how much I know about turbos, I thought almost all modern turbos were air AND water cooled for longevity.

Hopefully it turns out to be something easy. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine smoked for days. I couldn't take it anymore so I pulled the wrap. It didn't seem to be burning off because the smoke did not decrease at all over a period of 5 days. If this is the case then just cut out the section that is contaminated and re-wrap.