S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Test on different exhaust !

Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagherra,Jun 29 2009, 09:11 PM
I've been reading this thread with great interest.

So am I gathering correctly that if I get a Js or CT header for my SC I'm wasting my money? I have Invidia exhaust (I may replace, but I really like the way it sounds).
Im not too sure on headers?? I have not done any research nor test on them since I decided to keep things simple for test reasons.
I used my ebay cheepo megan copy If i get to barrow a high end header ill test it and ill pay for the tune with my current set up.

Im waiting for the "KING" to make me one SHHHHHHHH !!!!!
No further details at this moment, but its going to destroy the competition...

On the exhaust part keep the Invidia. I love the way it sounds too !!
( I had one )

U`ll have good gains with the Invidia at upper mid-range to top-end since its a bit high flow.

*** get a throttle body*** u'll have better gains than the exhaust itself ....
Old 06-30-2009, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV_S2k,Jun 29 2009, 09:46 PM
Im not too sure on headers?? I have not done any research nor test on them since I decided to keep things simple for test reasons.
I used my ebay cheepo megan copy If i get to barrow a high end header ill test it and ill pay for the tune with my current set up.

Im waiting for the "KING" to make me one SHHHHHHHH !!!!!
No further details at this moment, but its going to destroy the competition...

On the exhaust part keep the Invidia. I love the way it sounds too !!
( I had one )

U`ll have good gains with the Invidia at upper mid-range to top-end since its a bit high flow.

*** get a throttle body*** u'll have better gains than the exhaust itself ....
Cool. I'll get the Js or CT header at some point. SoS has a throttle body.

Right now I'm considering a 3.4 pulley and heat exchanger upgrade.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 AM

I am actually considering putting the OEM exhaust back on... right now I have a 70mm exhaust (from the header collector all the way to the back) with a 3.6" pulley... will the OEM exhaust fit the cat since it will reduce the diameter from 70 to 60?! any thoughts?!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by SFV_S2k,Jun 29 2009, 05:05 PM
Both the 3 inch and the j's resonator is very small. But I doubt that it would have affected any of the results, because the power change was too significant.
I was not testing the resonated flow nor any of the bends associated with different exhaust. I just took the best power adding exhaust (according to everyone) and tested them to see what the results were for my personal use.
i understand that you doubt it has anything to do with it but how can 3in>70mm?the link teloshedge shows what happens when you have a big exhaust. the resonator might help with the flow of the air leaving the exhaust.
BTW thanks alot.same car same dyno is the way to do it
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sarek,Jun 29 2009, 05:33 PM

The only change I did was 3 inch mid section split into 3" straight through mufflers vs same 3" midsection into 2.5 off center to center mufflers. (for more quiet and to fit the OEM tips, both setups using Magnaflows) Bisi was guessing that I would probably run rich and lose a little power.

But Im' very satisfied with the sound level.
Thanks for the reply back.
I see you just wanted to quiet the car down a bit.
I'm kinda on the fence right now.. I got a 70 single and was going to change it to a 80 single but I dont want it to be too crazy loud.. (Although the turbo quiets things down.

Your car is sick by the way, I've gone through the thread at least a couple of times ans was very impressed.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sportster,Jun 30 2009, 04:45 AM
I am actually considering putting the OEM exhaust back on... right now I have a 70mm exhaust (from the header collector all the way to the back) with a 3.6" pulley... will the OEM exhaust fit the cat since it will reduce the diameter from 70 to 60?! any thoughts?!
Oem exhaust should fit the oem cat (thats how the car came) . If u have a different cat or test pipe u might wanto get a one that fits better to keep the flow undisturbed.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by S2SEXY,Jun 30 2009, 05:15 AM
i understand that you doubt it has anything to do with it but how can 3in>70mm?the link teloshedge shows what happens when you have a big exhaust. the resonator might help with the flow of the air leaving the exhaust.
BTW thanks alot.same car same dyno is the way to do it
I would like to go back and test more on sc and turbo cars but its not cheap.
It`ll be cool if some shop owner with dynos test out different exhaust for us but I know that most do minimal testing

I was thinking of buying a used dyno for my own use for $60,000 and going to school for AEM. But then again my profession is in dentistry ...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SFV_S2k,Jun 30 2009, 07:46 AM
Oem exhaust should fit the oem cat (thats how the car came) . If u have a different cat or test pipe u might wanto get a one that fits better to keep the flow undisturbed.
since I have paid some money in going for a Berk 63mm cat and converting that into a 70mm (before they came available in 70) and also altering the header and changing the collector pipe into a 70mmm again from 63mm, I am thinking now in keeping those and actually changing from the cat and back into either the OEM or for something similar such as 63... I would imagine its similar in having the collector of header directly into 63, the difference would be that the narrow part would be after the catalytic converter...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM

I used a few of this "calculate ideal exhaust pipe volume" utilities, and came up with ~3" OD as being ideal for ~400hp in terms of the best combination of pulse scavenging and flow.

I kinda wonder if the mismatched TB had an effect.

Another "rule of thumb" I've always heard is that exhaust diameter should at least equal TB diameter. Strange...
Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Jun 30 2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the reply back.
I see you just wanted to quiet the car down a bit.
I'm kinda on the fence right now.. I got a 70 single and was going to change it to a 80 single but I dont want it to be too crazy loud.. (Although the turbo quiets things down.

Your car is sick by the way, I've gone through the thread at least a couple of times ans was very impressed.
Thanks Trbokev! I'm looking forward to seeing your project complete!

I'll be sure to post back on this thread after the re-tune.

Quick Reply: Test on different exhaust !