S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Tap the timing chain cover for oil return?

Old 04-25-2011 | 03:48 PM

Default Tap the timing chain cover for oil return?

I had this crazy idea, was wondering if it would work..
Instead of tapping the oil pan or girdle, could I run the oil return from SC to the timing chain cover?
See pics below, I would weld a bung where the red dot is. You can see in the pic with the cover off that it looks like a separate channel leading down to the pan. It wouldnt spray onto the timing chain.

A few reasons for doing this would be..
- its above the oil line, same height as tapping the girdle
- its easier to take the timing chain cover off than removing the oil pan, and I already have to take off one pulley to install the supercharger.
- I have a spare timing chain cover, so no extra downtime to have a bung welded on.

Old 04-25-2011 | 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

That should work fine, as far as I can tell. Just make sure the oil can flow downhill to get there.
Old 04-25-2011 | 06:07 PM

the ptuning kit uses the maintenance hole for the timing chain tensioner for the return line
Old 04-25-2011 | 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by dales2000
the ptuning kit uses the maintenance hole for the timing chain tensioner for the return line
Oh ok, so its definitely a good area to drain to. Too bad the access hole is too high a spot to use without a scavenger pump.

Another question, can the timing chain cover be removed & reinstalled (hondabond etc) without removing the oil pan? I know it can physically be done, but the shop manual says to drop the pan when doing it. I think because you will scrape the hondabond off when you push it back onto the motor. Anyone done this with success?
Old 04-25-2011 | 07:34 PM

I was not able to put my timing chain cover back on without dropping the oil pan. I have heard or people doing it before but i don't know how.
Old 04-26-2011 | 12:27 AM

This is an interesting idea! I'm a little pissed off I didn't think of think before doing mine. I guess I looked at what other people do, instead of thinking of the best way myself. Would have been perfect for my turbo location aswell.

Old 04-26-2011 | 12:53 AM

Hmmmmm...not a bad idea. I was gonna do the girdle but this is a good alternative.
Old 04-26-2011 | 05:04 AM

thats where I was planning on putting mine, my block is assembled minus the front cover/pan and it seems like a better idea to me than tapping the block.
Old 04-26-2011 | 06:41 AM
20 Year Member

i know people hate on tapping the pan, but many shops feel this is fine. and the truth is turbos were dieing not because of the drain, but because of the restrictor. if your not going out of your way then sure tap the girdle or chain cover, but if you are going out of your way just tap the pan.
Old 04-26-2011 | 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by camuman
i know people hate on tapping the pan, but many shops feel this is fine. and the truth is turbos were dieing not because of the drain, but because of the restrictor. if your not going out of your way then sure tap the girdle or chain cover, but if you are going out of your way just tap the pan.
Why this may be true, my question is - why roll the dice?

Quick Reply: Tap the timing chain cover for oil return?