S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Switching from EMU to AEM EMS

Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from EMU to AEM EMS

I have been running the EMU for some time now but have not really gotten the results I've wanted from it so I've finally made the switch to AEM EMS; however, I still need to install it. I'll be taking it to my tuner some time soon and I have no idea how to upload any of the software and I don't have a clue of what version is on the EMS.

My questions are firstly, when I diconnect the EMU and install the EMS, do I need to simply plug in the serial cable and attach it to the laptop? I also don't know what is currently loaded on the EMS. Finally, I was only given the box and the serial cable so I'm at a loss for uploading the software at the moment.

I've been told I can download the software online but I'm also having issues with a virus on my laptop that won't let me install anything new. It simply reboots and I'm left with no software and no means to interact with the EMS.

In any case, I'm trying to find a spare laptop but when I do, what version of the software should I be running and is it a simple matter of uploading a map to the unit and firing it up? I was kindly given a map from another member and my components have been considered so this should get me to my tuner.

Again, AEM is fairly new to me and I don't want to screw anything up so if you can give me the play-by-play that would be fan-freaking-tastic!!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to the below link to download the software and instructions. I would HIGHLY recomend you read the manual very carfully if you plan to work on the EMS yourself otherwise you may regret it.

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...oard,90.0.html
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

download software, install it, and get familiar with it. then read install isntructions for aem ems unit.

its more then just plugging in the box and starting the car.

plug in box
run serial cable to it
put car in on position
no cranking yet!
upload default base map from aem ems library.
configure if you have different injectors
configure if you have different map sensor
setup TPS sensor
setup timing reference point

im sure theres other things on that list, but thats off the top of my head.

be VERY CAREFUL. you are playing wiht stuff that can cuase damage. everything can be manipulated. i solid tune is required to get the most outa aem ems.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Count me lazy, but if your EMU is working, you could always drive to your tuner with it, and then just remove the EMU+Harness and put in your AEM EMS. I'm sure your tuner can take over at that point. But again, I am lazy!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devs2k,Apr 7 2010, 03:37 PM
Count me lazy, but if your EMU is working, you could always drive to your tuner with it, and then just remove the EMU+Harness and put in your AEM EMS. I'm sure your tuner can take over at that point. But again, I am lazy!
u say lazy, i say cautious
Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM

Received 437 Likes on 307 Posts

EMS is obviously the better product, but I am just curious by what you mean by not getting the results you wanted with it.

At least from what I have seen from SOT kits and a few other SC's, people are getting pretty close to the power that EMS guys extract ( at least when talking cars below 350 rwhp) . Maybe you are expecting too much or have a bad tune to start with?

I know EMS has lots more you can control and fine tune, but after timing and fuel are dialed in, isn't there diminishing returns with the added tweaks? Still probably better, and a great buy, but if you had an optimum tune on both I don't know that the dyno would show HUGE difference. But I suppose the higher you want to go on power the more the benefit EMS is, and probably the safer one to run.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Apr 7 2010, 04:51 PM
EMS is obviously the better product, but I am just curious by what you mean by not getting the results you wanted with it.

At least from what I have seen from SOT kits and a few other SC's, people are getting pretty close to the power that EMS guys extract. Maybe you are expecting too much or have a bad tune to start with?

I know EMS has lots more you can control and fine tune, but after timing and fuel are dialed in, isn't there diminishing returns with the added tweaks? Still probably better, and a great buy, but if you had an optimum tune on both I don't know that the dyno would show HUGE difference. But I suppose the higher you want to go on power the more the benefit EMS is, and probably the safer one to run.
My guess is likely the lack of a tuner who can tune the EMU well. I had a good tuner (gilbertg) for the EMU and others have had help from (I think yourself as well) Mark (mugen rio) and Mase. Unfortunately, there aren't too many others.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Apr 7 2010, 12:37 PM
haha, this is exactly what I was thinking I'll try and do, but I just wanted to know that when I get there and plug in the EMS and disconnect the EMU, is there a certain software that I need to install when plugging in the EMS? I ask this because I don't know the current state of the EMS (I purchased it 2nd hand and he doesn't know what version is on it).

I also want to know how dissimilar the tuning is from any other AEM tuning. My tuner is AEM certified; however, this will be his first s2k and I just want to make sure that the tuning is not too different than other AEM applications.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Apr 7 2010, 12:51 PM

At least from what I have seen from SOT kits and a few other SC's, people are getting pretty close to the power that EMS guys extract ( at least when talking cars below 350 rwhp) . Maybe you are expecting too much or have a bad tune to start with?

Dev is correct. My tuner was very unfamiliar with the EMU and we could not optimize the benefits of the EMU. I tried finding someone to tune but there is a paucity of tuners who know the EMU well enough to do a good job.

In any case, I reckon that there are more people familiar with the AEM so I purchased that and now I have an EMU with the plug and play harness kicking around! haha

I'll take it to the tuner and take it out when I'm on the dyno and install the EMS.

I asked him about tuning my car and this was his response:

Done lots of AEM, but to be honest, never on a Honda.

I imagine it really is plug and play on a Honda. You can download the software and instructions for your car here: http://forum.aempower.com/forum/ind...ic,17194.0.html

Some vehicles other small changes are required.... wiring a map sensor etc.

Once you download the software, browse the directory and see if there are any special instructions for your car.... there are a bunch of pdf files for each ems.

So I just wanted to know if there was anything special I needed to do.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman,Apr 7 2010, 03:40 PM
u say lazy, i say cautious

Quick Reply: Switching from EMU to AEM EMS