S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supra V160 Getrag Conversion

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Topillogic, I believe

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockB
The thing is the v160 is a simple swap, and is therefore the more practical option IMO plus you can sell your old clutch and tranny to make some money back.

Also, when you do the math, the v160 swap alone is a couple thousand less expensive than ppgs assuming you sell your old stuff and get a used v160
Not sure how you're getting a couple less thousand expensive? PAR gearset can be had for around $6k through Kings... which is around the same price for the V160 swap (no diff) assuming you can get one for cheap (~$2500 or less... good luck with that). Dropping the trans isn't too bad, but installing the gears is another thing entirely... though I can't see that costing a "couple thousand" in labor.

If you can find a V160 for cheap, then yeah, you might come out about even or slightly less than PAR anyways... but V160s aren't exactly easy to come by, and when you do find them, they usually are not cheap. More power to you if you can though. I'm not disputing that the V160 is superior in strength.

Out of all the options, I honestly don't care for the pricetag of any of them though... still hoping someone will come out with a cheaper solution. Obviously that is highly unlikely though. Maybe someone will finish the Z33 swap and test it out properly though...

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
has anyone even ran a ppg box in the last few years? I havnt seen anyone running one..
I haven't seen any either. I'm guessing its mainly because it seems like 8s are the new (high) 9s though. 9s aren't good enough for most with a dedicated race car these days... and below that, yeah the V160 is definitely the better choice.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockB
The thing is the v160 is a simple swap, and is therefore the more practical option IMO plus you can sell your old clutch and tranny to make some money back.

Also, when you do the math, the v160 swap alone is a couple thousand less expensive than ppgs assuming you sell your old stuff and get a used v160

How do you figure? I can get a PAR Dogbox Gearset with the Reduction Drop gear for like $7,500. The install is what? $500-1,000? So lets say 8k, With the Dogbox engagement I don't think I would crack the OEM casing with 450ft/lbs. (maybe with the Syncromesh Gearset, but even thhen, doubtful at 450 trq. There is no way I can sell my 112,000 mile AP2 tranny (of which has been boosted since 75k) for more than $1,000. The cost of the twindisc & V160 alone would almost be 7k then I would need the shifter, the conversion kit etc....... I don't know, I think if I made 800ft/lbs of torque and drove the car all the time the V160 would be the way to go, but the only time I really drive the thing anymore is to the track. Unless I am missing something it seems like for me the PAR gearset would be a better way to go

I have looked and looked and I never see a V160 for sale, and when I do it's beatebn to shit and like $3,500, or new and like $5,000
Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I want to be clear here - I am not bashing the V160 swap for people who can't keep a stock tranny together. It's clearly a better solution than playing the guessing game of when the stock tranny is going to break. What I'm saying is that if you're breaking stock tranny's that much because of how you drive or how much power you make (or, in most cases, both), you probably don't have a street car anymore. And I don't want people (newbies) coming into this forum and seeing all the V160 posts and start thinking that their tranny is made of glass because its not made by Toyota.

As far as the gearsets, I'd say its a tossup. Dollar for dollar they're probably about the same, its really comes down to how much effort and time you have to spend towards either solution. Personally, I'd choose the V160 over a dogbox, just for the better streetability of it compared to a whining screamfest that always sounds like its in reverse and has to be raped in order to change gears correctly.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trans ,clutch and Fullblown adapter kit I paid $5800ish not a bad deal if ya get the gear box used IMO I don't know where all these 10-15 k prices are coming from but I also didn't buy a gear box from Toyota,I've stomped this thing at 800 waiting for some thing to go wrong and I don't think it will shift smooth as butter
Old 06-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would never put a dog box in a car i drive on the street...shit is just too loud
Old 06-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatchbone
Trans ,clutch and Fullblown adapter kit I paid $5800ish not a bad deal if ya get the gear box used IMO I don't know where all these 10-15 k prices are coming from but I also didn't buy a gear box from Toyota,I've stomped this thing at 800 waiting for some thing to go wrong and I don't think it will shift smooth as butter
About the 10-15K price tag, I was mostly just stating what I have in to the whole drivetrain (trans and rear end), with all brand new and upgraded components. Full Blown must have given you a hell of a deal either on the adapter plate and clutch or they found you a V160 for a steal. I paid $3300 alone for the clutch and adapter kit.

The problems with the the stock transmission I see, is the secondary gear reduction and the case is weak, it was never designed to see this much torque. By having the secondary gear reduction, it also makes the gears smaller and more prone to slipping or stripping. I agree with spectacle, straight cut gears would not be a great street car solution.

For the trans solution, I still think the V160 is a better choice, some have been able to find them used at a great price. I didn't want to take the chance. If you just want to replace the transmission it would be close to the same cost as the gear set. But then it comes down to the rear end. Why would you shell out the money to beef up the transmission, just to start replacing rear ends like you do transmissions? It seems like if you do either one, you're going to have to deal with the breaking issue of the next weakest link.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yea, the Gearset would be with either an 8.8 Rear or IP R200
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^Why not a puddymod stage 3-4?

Quick Reply: Supra V160 Getrag Conversion