S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supra V160 Getrag Conversion

Old 06-13-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls
Let me ask this stupid question, why not just go with a PAR, PPG gears? Could I use the same CC Stage 4 clutch I have now? What else would I need with that? It may not be as strong as the V160, but seems a hell of a lot cheaper when it's all said and done. I only make 450ft lbs of torque, with no real ability (or need) to make more, I am sure it can handle it? The v160 just seems like wayyyyyy too much money when it's all said and done. MY wife is due this saturday and spending 15k on a 15 year old Toyota transmission would get me F---- killed
Congrats, Joey! You could reuse your current clutch with an aftermarket gear set You bring up an interesting point. Is the V160 worth it (compared to an aftermarket gear set like PPG) if we're *only* making 450-ft of torque? I don't plan to exceed 600whp.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
Originally Posted by JoeyBalls' timestamp='1339573041' post='21777465
Let me ask this stupid question, why not just go with a PAR, PPG gears? Could I use the same CC Stage 4 clutch I have now? What else would I need with that? It may not be as strong as the V160, but seems a hell of a lot cheaper when it's all said and done. I only make 450ft lbs of torque, with no real ability (or need) to make more, I am sure it can handle it? The v160 just seems like wayyyyyy too much money when it's all said and done. MY wife is due this saturday and spending 15k on a 15 year old Toyota transmission would get me F---- killed
Congrats, Joey! You could reuse your current clutch with an aftermarket gear set You bring up an interesting point. Is the V160 worth it (compared to an aftermarket gear set like PPG) if we're *only* making 450-ft of torque? I don't plan to exceed 600whp.

the problem is you will spend near 6k to have your stock trans built with a different gear set. not worth it when for a few grand more you have a bullet proof trans solution. remember your stock stuff is sold off to subsidize some of the swap.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman
the problem is you will spend near 6k to have your stock trans built with a different gear set. not worth it when for a few grand more you have a bullet proof trans solution. remember your stock stuff is sold off to subsidize some of the swap.
The highlighted statement conflicts with the cost allocation on the previous page
Old 06-13-2012, 05:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My personal opinion, and just my opinion - street cars don't need $5k tranny's. If you're making that much power and breaking the stock transmission that much, you probably belong on a track.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle
My personal opinion, and just my opinion - street cars don't need $5k tranny's. If you're making that much power and breaking the stock transmission that much, you probably belong on a track.
My personal opinion is that's crazy talk
Old 06-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camuman
Originally Posted by herecomesboost' timestamp='1339592934' post='21777832
[quote name='JoeyBalls' timestamp='1339573041' post='21777465']

[/quote]

Yea, but it's more like twice, not just "a few grand more". I figure I want to run mid to high 10's, I can't imagine I would need more power than I have now. I am pretty sure with an aftermarket gearset I wont crack the case with 450ft lbs of torque. Sure the V160 might be stronger, but I don't need an absolutely bulletproof tranny, just one that will hold what I have..........
Old 06-13-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls
Originally Posted by camuman' timestamp='1339594574' post='21777897
[quote name='herecomesboost' timestamp='1339592934' post='21777832']
[quote name='JoeyBalls' timestamp='1339573041' post='21777465']

[/quote]

Yea, but it's more like twice, not just "a few grand more". I figure I want to run mid to high 10's, I can't imagine I would need more power than I have now. I am pretty sure with an aftermarket gearset I wont crack the case with 450ft lbs of torque. Sure the V160 might be stronger, but I don't need an absolutely bulletproof tranny, just one that will hold what I have..........
[/quote]

It's cheaper to do it "right" the first time.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 06-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Right" is not the same for everybody. Not everyone needs an 8.8 and a V160 to meet their goals. Sure it would work, but its overkill for mid 10s in my opinion... and similar results could be likely provided by a cheaper setup.

Wasn't S2King's 9.99 run done with PPG gears in a stock trans case? Maybe I'm mistaken though.

Just my 2 cents. As awesome as I think the V160 is, I'm with Joey on this one. The fastest I would ever want to go would be mid 10s... I think PPG gears would be sufficient for that.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM

The thing is the v160 is a simple swap, and is therefore the more practical option IMO plus you can sell your old clutch and tranny to make some money back.

Also, when you do the math, the v160 swap alone is a couple thousand less expensive than ppgs assuming you sell your old stuff and get a used v160
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM

has anyone even ran a ppg box in the last few years? I havnt seen anyone running one..

Quick Reply: Supra V160 Getrag Conversion