S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supra V160 Getrag Conversion

Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats a quafie trans run in comparison lol
Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ImagineIt
whats a quafie trans run in comparison lol
About 2X as much...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 PM

I was surprised how soft a brand new OEM mount was from toyota, but after reading on supraforums how much the TRD one increased transmission noise and vibration I opted to just purchase a new stocker.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM

Hey guys, here's my review:

GSX2004 just got done installing my V160 and so far has done a great job. It is a badass tranny because of its obvious ability to hold power,
but after seeing correlations from others running the same setups, I wanted to point out the negatives you'll get with this transmission:

1. Your speedometer will not work upon initial installment.
Yea, we've all been talking about how to fix this, and I'm sure there is a way, as I am in the process of getting it done now; however, my car in particular is drive-by wire (2008) so we are running into speed bumps. I also run boost by gear on flashpro, and since its not detecting gear changes from the speedo disconnected, I have to run all wastegate until we figure this thing out.

2. Loud, clanky, chatter noise is produced from the twin disc (I think) of the V160
No, this is not the typical subtle twin disc chatter when the clutch is in- this is something louder.
This goes back to what Postaboy mentioned about the tranny making a ton of noise, like in his video posted here:

http://youtu.be/vNT4m5dMxq4

Apparently, I am getting the EXACT same noise. The common symptom is it makes the noise in neutral or when revving in-between gears, but not when the clutch is pushed in. my car seems to drive fine, and the noise will sometimes be louder or quieter, but overall it is bearable imo, and it does not appear to affect driving abilities. I think it is the twin disc itself that makes this noise.
(For anyone with experience to this, please feel free to chime in your comments on what you think is causing this noise. It would be interesting to note if someone who installed the v160 in their s2k did NOT make this noise, because I haven't seen it so far).

3. The shifter sits lower than the S2K oem tranny shifter.
This actually looks really cool, but unfortunately, it is so low that you almost have to use the palm of your hand to shift. If your radio door is out, your hand will hit it when shifting in 1st/3rd/6th gear. Also, because the supra gearbox is wider and sits lower, your shifts in 2nd/4th/6th hit the shifter frame- not hard, but it does hit it.

Heres a quick video I made of it in normal drive. The video sound does not give the vibration sound its justice, but overall I think this transmission is definitely worth it if you want to lay down your power practically. Of course I have yet to test out its true purpose : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2ct8CssXY

installation pictures:
Name:  DSC_0044.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  135.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0045.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  108.2 KB
Old 06-11-2012, 05:55 PM

Mine makes zero noise ,just the chatter of the disks when pushed in
Old 06-11-2012, 06:07 PM

my comp twin was making similar noises when I would press in the pedal, had a quick question, is there covers for the inspection ports in the bell housing, bc they are freaken huge and a lot of noise could be coming from there, I know it wont make a big difference but I dont want dirt and crpa flying in there also
Old 06-11-2012, 06:14 PM

They do make the plates,as far as Toyota having them I'm not to sure. I run mine open but I could not see why you couldn't make one your self they are really quite basic covers
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM

if I heard that sound id be freaking out.. something I wouldn't be use to hearing.

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by passmans2kny
my comp twin was making similar noises when I would press in the pedal, had a quick question, is there covers for the inspection ports in the bell housing, bc they are freaken huge and a lot of noise could be coming from there, I know it wont make a big difference but I dont want dirt and crpa flying in there also
Here's the part numbers for the inspection covers. It was in that parts list for the shifter.

31123-14020 - Inspection Cover
31121-14030 - Inspection Cover
90080-11228 - Bolts for inspection covers (4 are needed)
Old 06-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BrockB
Hey guys, here's my review:

GSX2004 just got done installing my V160 and so far has done a great job. It is a badass tranny because of its obvious ability to hold power,
but after seeing correlations from others running the same setups, I wanted to point out the negatives you'll get with this transmission:

1. Your speedometer will not work upon initial installment.
Yea, we've all been talking about how to fix this, and I'm sure there is a way, as I am in the process of getting it done now; however, my car in particular is drive-by wire (2008) so we are running into speed bumps. I also run boost by gear on flashpro, and since its not detecting gear changes from the speedo disconnected, I have to run all wastegate until we figure this thing out.

2. Loud, clanky, chatter noise is produced from the twin disc (I think) of the V160
No, this is not the typical subtle twin disc chatter when the clutch is in- this is something louder.
This goes back to what Postaboy mentioned about the tranny making a ton of noise, like in his video posted here:

http://youtu.be/vNT4m5dMxq4

Apparently, I am getting the EXACT same noise. The common symptom is it makes the noise in neutral or when revving in-between gears, but not when the clutch is pushed in. my car seems to drive fine, and the noise will sometimes be louder or quieter, but overall it is bearable imo, and it does not appear to affect driving abilities. I think it is the twin disc itself that makes this noise.
(For anyone with experience to this, please feel free to chime in your comments on what you think is causing this noise. It would be interesting to note if someone who installed the v160 in their s2k did NOT make this noise, because I haven't seen it so far).

3. The shifter sits lower than the S2K oem tranny shifter.
This actually looks really cool, but unfortunately, it is so low that you almost have to use the palm of your hand to shift. If your radio door is out, your hand will hit it when shifting in 1st/3rd/6th gear. Also, because the supra gearbox is wider and sits lower, your shifts in 2nd/4th/6th hit the shifter frame- not hard, but it does hit it.

Heres a quick video I made of it in normal drive. The video sound does not give the vibration sound its justice, but overall I think this transmission is definitely worth it if you want to lay down your power practically. Of course I have yet to test out its true purpose : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry2ct8CssXY

installation pictures:

Sucks you're experiencing the same noise. I'm pretty sure my noise is the bearings inside my transmission.

Quick Reply: Supra V160 Getrag Conversion