S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supra V160 Getrag Conversion

Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by teamxcelap2' timestamp='1318608988' post='21070435
Yes, I know the difference between 5th and 6th gear (dumbass). The online calculators are good and all. But I have a stock engine, wheels, diff, and tranny and have personally seen the speedo flickering between 147/148 bouncing on the rev limiter. There is no way in hell a stock S2K, of any year, will do 176mph. If you boost it, you'll hit your top speed sooner. But without changing gear ratios or redline, the S2000 is a gear limited car. Plus, why would any manufacturer gear a car for that high a speed when it doesn't have the power to get there? The Supra option is great for the guys going FI with the power to fly past the stock top speed. But factory trim will not do it. AP1's higher redline will give it a slightly higher speed. Not 28 mph though. Just saying.
You are very confused on whats going on in this thread
No, I already stated that it doesn't matter since the Supra tranny ups the top speed regardless. I was just pointing out that the quote of a stock S2K top speed of 176 was not correct. If you want to get a gearing/speed comparison between the two, that is good information to have. And some people on here seem to think that the S is geared like a Z06 for some reason. I don't know how acurate these online calculators are or if someone put the wrong info in. But I was there when I personally topped out my S. I know what its top speed is, regardless of some online blog post. Plus, there are plenty of online sources of factory specs for cars that all quote the top speed between 143 and 155 depending on the year. I'm not trying to flame anyone. But guessing and posting misinformation doesn't help anyone. I want to see an acurate gear/speed calculation for AP1 and AP2 tranny's. Mine is an AP2 and I'll bet some of the other potential buyers for this setup don't have AP1's either.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by teamxcelap2
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1318628444' post='21071534
[quote name='teamxcelap2' timestamp='1318608988' post='21070435']
Yes, I know the difference between 5th and 6th gear (dumbass). The online calculators are good and all. But I have a stock engine, wheels, diff, and tranny and have personally seen the speedo flickering between 147/148 bouncing on the rev limiter. There is no way in hell a stock S2K, of any year, will do 176mph. If you boost it, you'll hit your top speed sooner. But without changing gear ratios or redline, the S2000 is a gear limited car. Plus, why would any manufacturer gear a car for that high a speed when it doesn't have the power to get there? The Supra option is great for the guys going FI with the power to fly past the stock top speed. But factory trim will not do it. AP1's higher redline will give it a slightly higher speed. Not 28 mph though. Just saying.
No, I already stated that it doesn't matter since the Supra tranny ups the top speed regardless. I was just pointing out that the quote of a stock S2K top speed of 176 was not correct. If you want to get a gearing/speed comparison between the two, that is good information to have. And some people on here seem to think that the S is geared like a Z06 for some reason. I don't know how acurate these online calculators are or if someone put the wrong info in. But I was there when I personally topped out my S. I know what its top speed is, regardless of some online blog post. Plus, there are plenty of online sources of factory specs for cars that all quote the top speed between 143 and 155 depending on the year. I'm not trying to flame anyone. But guessing and posting misinformation doesn't help anyone. I want to see an acurate gear/speed calculation for AP1 and AP2 tranny's. Mine is an AP2 and I'll bet some of the other potential buyers for this setup don't have AP1's either.
[/quote]
The purpose was the show how fast or high the transmission could spin, focus more on the transmission's potential speed and NOT the engine's speed
Old 10-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Those calculations showing 170+ are missing the reduction gear. I made the same mistake messing with one of those calculators. The one camuman linked has it right.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Topillogic
Those calculations showing 170+ are missing the reduction gear. I made the same mistake messing with one of those calculators. The one camuman linked has it right.
Exactly
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 PM

Thanks. In my build, I plan to change the stroke, so my redline won't exceed 8k rpm. But if gearing is close in the low gears then it should be a pretty smooth transition on the street. Don't think I'd have the balls to try 230+ in my car, but being able to pull hard past all the 155-limeted cars will be sweet. Lol.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:33 AM

Using 245/40/17 tires you should be geared to 155.7mph in 6th gear at 8000 rpms. At 9000 it will hit 175mph.

There are many reasons why a manufacturer would gear a car for a higher speed than it can achieve. Fuel Economy being a big factor. Being geared to a higher speed = less engine speed while cruising on the highway, less noise, wear, etc...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1318628444' post='21071534
[quote name='teamxcelap2' timestamp='1318608988' post='21070435']
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xvqI_mqlH8

Ap1 top speed = ~174
Ap2 US spec top speed = ~150

anyways back to topic this thing is gonna be sick. cant wait to see street vids!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 AM

All I know is my AP2 is gear limited to 148 at redline on stock rims. So I'm not sure where the whole 176mph comes from. But the Supra tranny will up the top speed regardless, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
I think you meant to type 158 instead of 148 or there is something wrong...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Oh my gosh. No. I know how to type. I know how to read a speedometer. I know how to shift into 6th gear. I don't know why everyone is trying to convince me of some different reality. I was there. I know what it did. I'm not getting this from a blog post, I didn't calculate it from some random numbers a guy said are correct. I am speaking from personal experience. I suppose next you all are going to tell me I drive a black car and GPW is a mis-label. If your car went faster, I'm happy for you. Move on.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:31 AM

relax I just find it strange that you are limited to 148 when I have seen first hand 158 in an ap2 with a stock diff and trans but it is what it is. back on topic

Quick Reply: Supra V160 Getrag Conversion