S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharger Vtec engagements and piggybacks?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger Vtec engagements and piggybacks?

I was recently at a tuner with a CTSC with an Emanage Ultimate and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on Vtec engagement points.

Setup:
CTSC with SOS 10 psi pulley
70mm testpipe
RC 750cc injectors
NGK 6097's
Emanage Ultimate
*everything else stock*

The tuner was averaging 250ish rwhp on a mustang dyno with stock vtec settings and an average a/f ratio of 11.5

we asked the tuner to drop vtec engagement point down to 4500. Once Vtec engaged @ 4500 the power ratings jumped to 272rwhp but the a/f ratio spiked to 13.3 @ engagement point. no matter how much the tuner played around with the map it seemed as though there was no richening up of the crossover point. (fighting ECU?!? )

i've researched and a few members are running engagement points around the 3K range (standalone).

is there anyone out there using the Emanage Ult and able to lower engagement points without leaning out or has everyone just left stock engagement points?

any help would be greatly appreciated as we'll be hitting the tuner again soon..

TIA
Old 03-08-2009, 08:23 AM

When I had my Vortech on the car running 9.5psi, I also ran an Emanage ultimate with Vtec lowered to 4k rpm. had no issues like you are stating. you need to find another tuner homie!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM

honestly since you have a car that AEM will work with I would ditch the emanage and go with the AEM EMS. you won't have any of those problems, it's a much easier and more powerful tuning tool.

that being said, you shouldn't have these kinda problems, emanage isn't the best, but you should be able to change VTEC and smooth out the AF ratio. if your tuner isn't confident with emanage it's probably time to find someone who is.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the downfall of a piggyback. You can only tune them so much. Save and purchase a full EMS amd you will be fine.

what psi level are you at when you engage vtec, 4-5??
Old 03-08-2009, 10:26 AM

emanage ftl
Old 03-08-2009, 10:30 AM

emanage will work fine for dropping vtec; I had it at 4k on my NA setup and 7k on my greddy setup

the problem is likely the tuner and something with the harness; my tuner rewires each greddy/boomslang harness that comes through the door..

where are you located? depending on your area and local tuners, it just may be easier to grab an AEM because many tuners do not know how to properly tune a piggyback, account for fuel trims, etc..
Old 03-08-2009, 10:36 AM

^ most of the tuners when you call for an appt. will just tell you to save the money you are going to spend on me tuning the little piggy and purchase an EMS.

I had a very good tuner tune my emanage when I had it a couple years ago and we still couldn't get the vtec dip out. I will post the dyno later if you want to see vs. the aem dyno on the same turbo setup.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChefJ,Mar 8 2009, 01:36 PM
^ most of the tuners when you call for an appt. will just tell you to save the money you are going to spend on me tuning the little piggy and purchase an EMS.

I had a very good tuner tune my emanage when I had it a couple years ago and we still couldn't get the vtec dip out. I will post the dyno later if you want to see vs. the aem dyno on the same turbo setup.
I def agree that the EMS is a more powerful tool; even my tuner will acknowledge that.

However, I feel many tuners (not yours necessarily but just in general) will push what they know, and will not tune an emanage and call for the EMS because they are better at the later.

My tuner tunes everything; his personal cars include an AEM turbo s2k and a twin-turbo MR2 with Emanage Ultimate. He'd make more money tuning the AEM but he said for my setup, there is no need to step up to the AEM.

just my two cents!
Old 03-08-2009, 10:53 AM

emanage dyno power limited because of emanage

AEM dyno

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 AM

is that the same setup? if, so what set-up?

that's a pretty astounding difference between the EMU and AEM.. 80whp if I read correctly.. pretty odd considering I hit 300whp on my Greddy turbo at 7000 rpm using an Emanage ultimate, no?

edit:
in the end it doesnt matter... you had good results with AEM and I did with EMU

I think the message to the OP should be to find out what your tuner is GREAT at and go with that

Quick Reply: Supercharger Vtec engagements and piggybacks?