S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharger/Turbo guys - Engine life?

Old 09-22-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger/Turbo guys - Engine life?

I'm very interested in Supercharging a 2001. Does this have any major effect on engine longevity?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:19 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Inevitably it will in my opinion, as everything is working that much harder and there are more stresses on the engine internals, crank, driveshafts, clutch and box.

That said, a well setup S/C wont damage your engine, but it will wear quicker.

How quick is a bit of an untangible one! There are many on here (from my research) who have clocked up quite a few miles with no issue yet.

I wouldnt let it put you off

There are things you can do to help if you want long term use, such as sticking to a sensible boost, regular oil and fluid changes etc...

MB
Old 09-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Two big factors are the tune the engine runs with and the abuse of the driver. Hecash has way over 100,000 miles with the majority boosted. He tracks the car frequently. I expect 200,000 before teardown but will be happy with 100,000.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever you begin making more power than stock things will wear at an accelerated rate. I couldn't agree more with Phil. It's all in the tune.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 PM

Well assuming I get the Vortech, and an exhaust and maintiain it regurlarly, what other things might you guys suggest?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM

if i were you i would get the comtech and set it in stalled by your dealer then it won't void the warranty...it might cost alittle more but i think its worth it.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:41 PM

Well the car is an 01, and no longer warrantied.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jdo009,Sep 22 2005, 02:37 PM
if i were you i would get the comtech and set it in stalled by your dealer then it won't void the warranty...it might cost alittle more but i think its worth it.
He has an 01 so his original factory warranty is already expired. Extended warranty maybe. That said, I'd like to find this elusive dealer that, when they install non-Honda parts, maintains the Honda factory warranty? I certainly couldn't find one hard as I tried.
Not saying it doesn't exist, just wonder how they get around the large type, bold print in the manual that says : if you install non-Honda parts in the car and something breaks as a result of it, you're SOL.

Anyway, as to engine longevity. With a proper tune and maintenance, you should be OK for several 10s of thousands of miles. How long are you planning on keeping the car? If, you're thinking maybe 2-3 more years (so maybe 40K miles more tops), you'll be fine. How hard are you going to drive it? If you keep it below 4K rpm in 90% of your driving, the internals won't even see any significant boost.

Go for it! You won't regret it
Old 09-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jdo009,Sep 22 2005, 04:37 PM
This is somewhat misleading and should never be stated in this way. I hope the following will shed some light and perhaps address "halo's" post as well.
First of all, putting a Comptech S/C onto the car will void the factory warranty. It will also void any extended warranty. What happens is that if you find a Comptech AUTHORIZED Honda (and sometimes Acura) dealer to sell and install the kit, between that dealer and Comptech, you will be "looked after" should something go wrong during the term of the factory warranty. It is unlikely that they will "look after you" under the terms of an extended warranty but I suppose that's between you and your "authorized" dealer.
To find who might be such a dealer in your area, contact Comptech and they should be able to tell you. For example, Hardtopguy sells S2000s with Comptech superchargers installed on brand new cars. They will "look after you" should something go wrong, assuming that you live up to your responsibilities in terms of maintenance and do not alter the kit any further or abuse the car.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Akilldema,Sep 22 2005, 03:22 PM
what other things might you guys suggest?
install the updated banjo bolts.

Quick Reply: Supercharger/Turbo guys - Engine life?